Global warming and your garden

Page 2 of 6
In article

Exactly. ;-)
The thing is, is it a normal, cyclical anomaly or is it really our fault?
--
Peace! Om

On Sun, 18 May 2008 20:50:58 -0500, Omelet wrote:

Even if we are not causing global warming, we are killing the planet.
It is almost like the media is constantly reminding us of this overheating so we will forget about the other ways we are hurting the earth: land overuse, water diversion, recreational vehicles, factory farms, disposable everything, fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides, medicines, paints, solvents, logging... need I go on.
stonerfish

Recreational vehicles, disposable everything (plastic), packaging, fertilizer, pesticides, and herbicides are petroleum based.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Good point.
--
Peace! Om

Like in those disaster movies, if we don't succeed, whose fault it is will be moot.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

But if it IS cyclical and not controllable, it's better to just prepare rather than whine about it.
--
Peace! Om

even if it's partly our fault (which i'm sure it is, along with the cyclical), it's better to prepare than whine about it. people in the US (& most industrialized countries) have this "manifest destiny" thing going on... entitlement. living beyond their means, in as grand & wasteful a manner as possible. plus no one teaches practical knowledge in schools anymore. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

VERY accurate statement. :-)
We try to conserve and recycle wherever practical for a start. How many kids nowadays know (or care about) what local plants are edible if you ever had to survive?
--
Peace! Om

Many kids and their parents are interested. Our Native Plant Society has a " wildflower show" every other year. We always have a native teas and edible plant display. It is always very popular and kids are fascinated with the idea. One member, a retired biology prof has Indian Useful and Edible plant walks that are very well attended by 40-50 people including kids. The problem is the teachers can't take time to teach it......they're too busy teaching and giving those mandatory tests associated with that "no child left behind" silliness. No time for the things that make kids WANT to learn. Emilie
oups.com:

which is why my child goes to a Montessori school. i'm all for the child-led learning, advance at your own speed thing (my 7.5 year old is doing division & adding & subtracting fraction, which is 4th grade material in our local public school) lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

I don't think we should have any public schools at all. I think people who have children should be the ones who pay for school. I'm pretty sick of forking over 3,000 dollars a year to school tax so they can build a better football stadium. In Texas, highschool football is on the local news. They also teach to the test. My nieces are two of the dumbest, dullards I know.
On Tue, 20 May 2008 07:57:08 -0500, Jangchub wrote:

Yeah, only the rich should get an edjumacation. Then all us poor folk can mow your lawns.

no, the poor folks should be getting better education, not the NCLB dumb-it-down bullcaca lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Actually, education has followed the complexity of weaponry. The more complex the weapon, the smarter the soldier must be to use it. Come the day that soldiers need to be able to solve for "x", everybody will be taught algebra.
I'll put in a word for the Waldorf schools. A guy that I used to do tae-kwon-do with taught in a Waldorf school. He had a class of about 10 students. He would have them from 1st grade through 8th. Because he knew each student's abilities he didn't need to test. Unfortunately, Waldorf is expensive.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

but weaonry is being made for use by lowest common denominator... so how does that work?

not any more than any other private school, really. Boo's in Montessori because the closest Waldorf school is halfway across the state. i also disagree with one facet of their philosophy, which is that children should not read until age 8. while some kids aren't ready to read until then, forbidding reading seems wrongheaded. OTOH, i'm all for the forbidding of TV, but not so much forbidding recorded music... i really like Waldorf's focus on nature & fantasy... but i don't think it would have suited Boo's analytical nature nearly as well as Montessori does. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

LCD has to be raised.

Complete agreement.

I agree again.

It seems that it all boils down to the teacher, which is critical if your going to have the same one for the next eight years. Teachers are like books and movies, they are good for some audiences and not others. Coloribus gustibus non disputatum as someone like to say;-)
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

...really ?
Got any citations?
cheers
oz, wondering how well lee would do in an Aegis cruiser's CIC

Waldorf, Maryland? My first cousin lives there. Breezy Court, Waldorf, MD. It's nice there, but Austin is very hard to beat. I adore living here. The city's motto is "Keep Austin Weird!"
Sixty seven percent of the adults who live here have had higher education. Of those, almost half have graduate level degrees and of them, a third have their PhD.
It's said that if one need live in Texas, Austin is the place to be. It's the blue planet in the vast red of the dubya show.
Victoria

We call it caca del toro in these here parts!
On Tue, 20 May 2008 13:25:03 GMT, jellybean stonerfish

No, but maybe people who can't afford them should consider how costly it is to raise a child in this world and have fewer. Maybe priorities would also change. There is home schooling as a viable option and since I don't have children, I can't truly say, but I'm fairly certain I would chose that option. Again, I have no children so my opinion on this aspect is not valid in the broad sense.
I mow my own lawn, weed my own garden when I can and I never haggle the price when I have my very old live oaks pruned. Actually, I always give more than asked and this last time I had the trees pruned I gave a brand new McCulloch chain saw to the owner of the service who didn't speak a word of English. I'm not heartless. Nowhere near.