Ginseng

How difficult is it to raise your own ginseng? I see a lot of ginseng production in Wisconsin on a large scale. Wonder what the income is per acre? Anyone have a clue?
Thanks, Dale

Search on
ginseng cultivation
Here's one reference:
http://www.hardingsginsengfarm.com/cultivate.htm
Dale McSwain wrote:

Ginseng is very demanding (half shade, slope, porous dirt, not too deep...), and very labor intensive. If its requirements aren't met it's quite likely to catch a disease and die. You need to grow it for at least three years before you can first dig it, and then you've got lowest-quality root, for which you get peanuts or less.
Were you to go the chemical route I wish you luck, but I will avoid your product at all cost. It's a root crop, and if you can't give it a comfy home it'll need _lots_ of *cides (pesti-, fungi-, whatever-,). And those aren't cheap either ...
There's a reason ginseng is priced so high, and that reason is not a lack of hopefuls growing it. As a matter of fact, some commercial ginseng growers used to cash in by selling seeds to hopefuls. Dunno if they still sell those at the earlier exorbitant rates or if the hopefuls have gotten wiser.
Henriette
--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed