giant zucchini recipes

Remember me? I couldn't get my zucchini started. Eventually, I got a half dozen proper size zucchinis and then the diabolical plant stopped producing, or so I thought. I am now the proud owner of a 18" long x 4" diameter zucchini. I know there is a perfectly good recipe forum (where I have posted) but I know that you people have already have had to deal with this problem. I know I can make bread. Any other ideas? Don't know why I'm so surprised, again,

- Bill

Reply to
William L. Rose

There was a recent discussion in rec.food.cooking about giant zucchini; about a week ago I think. You should be able to find it.

If you peel it and seed it and cut it up right, they make a pretty good mock apple pie (I believe Ma made a green pumpkin pie once in one of those Laura Ingalls Wilder _Little House_ books)

They also make OK relish or pickle chunks.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I grate up those big Zukes and freeze in 1 cup packages. When making chocolate or carrot cake I mix in one cup. It adds moistness, and some nutricional value ; ). Makes a mix cake taste more 'made from scratch'. No one will know that there is zuke in there.

Another recipe is to slice zukes and tomatoes, layer in a baking dish, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, oregano and drizzle with oil (Olive oil). Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 F. Smells like pizza and taste very good.

Leesa

William L. Rose wrote:

Reply to
leesaj

Big zukes are similar to what the Brits call "vegetable marrow." Very large squash with a whitish flesh, slice lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and connective tissue, fill with a meat/veggie dressing, bake until tender and dressing is done. Eat the whole thing excepting the skin.

I've done it a time or two with oversized zucchini and it isn't bad at all. Probably some recipes on the web.

George

leesaj wrote:

Reply to
George Shirley

George's recipe is one I have tried too, and it was good. The filling was a sort of drier chili (ground meat, tomato sauce and spices). It was a big dish all told, serving six.We also like cleaning it as above, cutting in 1/2X1/2X1/8 pieces ad saute' with salt, pepper, garlic, various herbs from garden chopped finely and lemon. The lemons (four lemons for such a large one I suggest) impart tartness to the otherwise bland thing. Nice side dish.

Reply to
simy1

My 2 recent recipes have been:

- stir-fry zucchini, garlic, beet greens (all 3 of these from the garden, greens leftover from beets the night before), cauliflower, onion; add a splash of worcestershire; serve over stir-fired rice noodles.

- sauté zucchini, onion, bell pepper, halved cherry and yellow pear tomatoes in tomato puree and a curry spice mixture; serve with steamed brown rice

You can also look back in the archives for this group in google groups for the thread "Why did I plant zucchini..." from July 5, 2005. There are several more ideas there.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Ward

Alternatively you can let the zukes get really big, harvest them and allow to sun dry then build a new garden shed with them. You may have to split some for the roof shingles but you can just nail the other together for the walls.

George

Andrew Ward wrote:

Reply to
George Shirley

I'm intrigued with your insightful suggestion, George, BUT the zucchini is on a steep hillside, not Moselle steep but steep enough. I fear that if some malevolent force (say, my psycho, garden-cidal dogs) were to dislodge the green behemouth, there would be heck to pay. (Did I mention that the zucchini is UP-HILL from the house?:-)

Andrew, I looked for the archives, with no luck at Google.

Keep those ideas coming because tonight (Fri.) is either zuch, or pizza night, depending. A zuched pizza isn't really an option. I have to live here, ya' know.

- Bill

Reply to
William L. Rose