Getting broccili seeds

How can you save broccili seeds? I have one plant that I already got the big head and let one of the siders go to flower. How can I get the seeds. I know there in that flower somewhere. Thanks Joe Mc

Reply to
joemcsmarty

Brocollo will bloom and go to seed, but wait! The seed pods are rather obvious. Each bloom will produce a small bean-pod-like structure when they are done, and just wait until they dry.

My brocolli flowers attracted bees and butterflies that pollinated them.

My seed pods were at least 1" or more long.

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

If it's a hybrid, don't bother.

--

ellis

Even hybrid seeds should make really good broccoli sprouts, don't you think?

Anyone have any experience with this? I had this "light bulb moment" this year and I'm trying it with the broccoli and cauliflowers that got away from me this year. Thought, oh, well, I'll just save the seeds. LOL

If anyone knows any reason why this won't work, please save me some time. My problem is trying to find the space to dry them this time of the year in BC. LJ

Reply to
LJ

There's nothing wrong with doing it just for fun. Even hybrid plants will give seeds that will grow into something edible. They just won't be as consistent as the original seed. You wouldn't want to do it if you were trying to make a living by growing produce but as a home gardener it can be fun to see how it turns out.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I currently experimenting with trying to grow broccoli from cuttings taken from a mature plant. I'm mostly doing it just for fun to see if it works. The plant I took the cuttings from gave me a really good head of broccoli, and plently of additional sprouts. Some of the cuttings have formed roots. Whether they will grow into a proper plant I'm yet to find out.

Regards

Reply to
Trevor Woods