Gene splicing. What whould be the name of user group where things like this would be discussed?

<< I stated that due to updates in technology. ;-) Gene splicing. If you have access and/or ability to do gene splicing, just about anything is possible. It's kind of a scary area actually!>>
What whould be the user group where things like this would be discussed?
:: << I stated that due to updates in technology. ;-) Gene splicing. If :: you have access and/or ability to do gene splicing, just about anything :: is possible. It's kind of a scary area actually!>> :: :: What whould be the user group where things like this would be :: discussed?
alt.boneless
<<alt.boneless>> are you serious?
Bozozozo wrote:

You could try sci.bio.botany or try one of the other sci.groups. I'm not sure. I've never hung out on any of those except for sci.med.nutrition.
There is also google.com for doing more searches on that subject:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=gm+foods
It does not hurt to have a decent background in biology tho' just to understand some of the science terminology. ;-)
You might have to hit the library and do some reading.
Seriously.
An understanding of basic botanical taxonomy can be very helpful.
--
Peace!
Om

<<There is also google.com for doing more searches on that subject>>
I have tried. Supprisingly, the Goggle search have brought mostly things that are agains genetics, and some of them even fanatical groups or related to some kind of religions. So far I did not find anything that has attracted my attention as being pro genetics.
Either it is so technically complicated that it is discussed only between people in industry. Or people posting about it on Internet are afraid to be burned alive or maybe arrested :)
<<It does not hurt to have a decent background in biology>>
You be supprised, but I have found that just following (not even participating in it) the heating discussion, can bring you up to speed so fast and so cheap as compared to conventional education. At certain point, you are right, there is no way without spending considerable time in library or in school to move anywhere, but it all depends where is it that you want to go.
If you are a tennis player competing in Wimbledon, you should learn from professionals that charge $300.00 /hour. Otherwise the Wimbledon you are in now will be your last one. But if you are enjoying tennis, playing 3-4 times a week and play with people that are 40-60 years old, most probably just playing with better people and occasionally watching good matches on TV will keep you in the top 10% of the group you are playing in. Considering the reality of where you can move from this tennis group and restrictions to advancement because of age, muscle deterioration, and some other minor things, I would say that studying tennis real serious is a waste of time.
I think the analogy I made is good enough? And again,
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Well, it also depends on your ability to google. <G> You have to ask it the right questions:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=research+on+plant+gene +splicing
That should get you started on a more positive note.

There are hundreds of millions of websites. You have to be more specific and refined in your search requests anymore.

Well, I'll grant you, you do not have to go take college courses, but library time does not hurt. You can also simply purchase some good basic biology and botany textbooks and just read and teach yourself.
That's what textbooks are for. :-)
Seriously, good luck in your search. What you are proposing IS possible with modern technology, but not just by doing basic grafting from current plant stocks. Amazon.com sells excellent books on plant propagation. Here is the one I found that is easy to follow. I bought it and am glad I did. Informative and reasonably thorough:
http://tinyurl.com/hdj9v
Or you might want to get some books that focus only on grafting:
http://tinyurl.com/kox3a
Some libraries might carry these books to save you money, but I think it's worth it to shell out for a few and just keep them.
--
Peace!
Om