Garlic "seeds"

I have a small quantity of Ukrainian garlic which has produced "seed heads" (small miniature cloves) about 1/4" in diameter. If I planted these would they produced proper garlic next year or am I wasting my time.

Reply to
geowicz

These "small miniature cloves" (called bulbils) will produce "proper" garlic but it will take at least two years. The bulbils look and taste just like miniature garlic cloves. When planted they will form a `round' or single clove bulb in their first year. When these 'rounds' are replanted the following year, they will develop into normal, although possibly smaller, segmented bulbs which can be harvested in the normal way.

Ross.

Reply to
rossr35253

This clears this up. We have garlic everywhere but most are the single small bulbs. I assume the multi-bulbs require more space? How does one grow the large variety?

Darrell Ulm

Reply to
Darrell Ulm

Shameless self-promotion: My personal web page, in the .sig below, has the basics. Garlic is a heavy feeder and a lousy competitor, so give it your best soil, richest compost, and even if everything else goes to wrack and ruin, keep it well weeded, and if it's dry, watered. I grow mine in a 4' wide bed 6 inches each way (8 inches for a couple of large varieties).

Hope this helps,

Gary Woods

I have found garlic to be a hearty plant. It works a an excellent insect repellent. I planted garlic cloves from the grocery store all around some young hibiscus plants that were attached with aphids. A friend informed me that insects do not like garlic it appears to have solved the insect problem with the hibiscus plants. So now I have healthy hibiscus plants and a crop of garlic on the way.

Reply to
MackW

Wonderful! thanks for the info that you guys have been discussing. Awesome!!!!

Reply to
squitresu