Garlic questions

Right about in the middle of New York state.
When is the best time to plant garlic cloves?
This year I harvested some but the head's outer skin was broken in places.
The garlic is good but does not look as good as the ones in stores.
Any suggestion on how I can make the skins on the heads look better?
Thanks

We plant ours (Syracuse) in November. They all come up, and do OK. Size is variable, and mostly not as big as the farmers' market ones, but good enough.
George
George wrote:

Poughkeepsie, NY here - just put mine in this morning
--
Steve

Fergus, Ontario
Put ours in last week.
--
My Word
in
MY WORD wrote:

I was late this year by about 2 weeks. I usually like them to have sprouted 2 inches or so before the cold weather really hits. Some may question that but every year that I've done it I've gotten larger and stronger garlic for some reason. Don't ask me to explain it, 'cause I can't.
--
Steve

How cold does it get? Do you have consistent snow cover?
George wrote:

We can get to -10 to -15dF but it's not usually that cold. As for snow cover, it depends on the year. Sometimes we never see the "grass" all winter and other years the snow comes and goes.
--
Steve

You can see Fergus on this map. We are 5a
http://www.gardenmaking.com/zonemap.shtml

to plant in.
--
My Word
in

Netter said:

I'm in southeast Michigan, and I plan to plant my garlic this weekend.

It's important to harvest the garlic while some leaves are still green to get well wrapped bulbs.
Hang or lay out to dry in a sheltered, airy place. (Don't leave them out in the sun.)
My garlic usually is ready to harvest in July.

You harvested too late and the wrappers were deteriorating. About half the tops should still be green when you harvest.

See above

Garlic is the worst of both worlds; a heavy feeder and a poor competitor. Give it your best soil and keep well weeded. Do as I say, not as I do!
Some basics on my personal web page, in the .sig below.
Gary Woods wrote:

Not entirely true. pH tolerant, less thirsty than many vegetables, excellent companion plant for many vegetables. If you interplant with lettuce or mulch after the spears are one foot high there will be no weeding.
Thanks for all the help