Garlic Question

We used to live in a warmer place that got frosts, but few, if any, real hard freezes (it was rare that we saw them). We planted garlic in the fall there. We moved to a place that can see temperatures as low as -20 in the depths of winter and has frozen ground through the winter (tubers don't stay in the ground and spring up when it warms up here, they rot). We have bulbs that can stay in the ground, though I've heard they are supposed to be planted deeper than normal.
So, should I still plant garlic in the fall here? If not, when? If so, how? Thank you for any help.
Regards, Ranee @ Arabian Knits
http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Where are you, in general terms? Sounds like garlic should be fall planted, perhaps with a few inches of mulch on top, preferably after the ground starts to freeze, just to minimize the freeze/thaw thing.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
On Thu, 06 May 2010 09:29:47 -0700, Rane at Arabian Knits

I do not think it will hurt, but some sites recommend 3" for colder places.. We usually mulch the garlic bed with a nice thick layer of shredded fall leaves.

The scapes arise in late spring and look like curly pigtails. They are the flower stalk, but oh, so yummy. Granted, they come up on hard-necked only, but I assumed that is what you'd be planting in the deep freeze. My bad.

Boron
On Thu, 06 May 2010 08:47:42 -0700, Rane at Arabian Knits

Ranee,
It sounds like your weather is quite similar to ours. The past winter was much milder than normal here as well. We normally plant our garlic the last week of October, about 3 inches deep and mulch with about 4 inches of shredded leaves. Last year it was planted Oct. 29, 19 different varieties for a total of about 160 ft. of row. We've never had problems with over-wintering, even in the severest of winters and right now some of our varieties are well over a foot tall.
Ross. Southern Ontario, Canada. AgCanada Zone 5b 43 17' 26.75" North 80 13' 29.46" West