Garlic/onion frost damage

Page 3 of 3
"Steve Young" wrote

your sort of winters, this is a maritime climate not a continental type climate so we get perhaps a frost then some rain them some sun and the temperature goes up so you work in your shirt. Sometimes in a week sometimes all that in one day. So any garlic planted in the autumn will sprout in a UK garden and in most winters will continue to grow through the winter. To get garlic to sprout in the spring over here you would have to plant in the spring.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Actually this thread was CROSSPOSTED to three different Newsgroups (uk.rec.gardening, rec.gardens, rec.gardens.edible). Usenet is international, but had the OP wanted to keep his query UK sensitive he should not have crossposted. And you, Hobden, are obviously a newbie.

On behalf of U.S. gardeners not too far north of Sheldon, I wish to apologise. People ought not to AssUMe. I did notice the crossposting, though most of the information is international. The climate in the UK is _different_ than mine, which I'll have pointed out in February when you folks have spring flowers, and I'm on first-name terms with the fuel oil delivery man! FWIW, my garlic sprouts at the same time as the crocus, though I will be using some hay mulch this winter, which will likely delay it a bit.
"Gary Woods" wrote after

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
"Sheldon" wrote ... "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Actually this thread was CROSSPOSTED to three different Newsgroups (uk.rec.gardening, rec.gardens, rec.gardens.edible). Usenet is international, but had the OP wanted to keep his query UK sensitive he should not have crossposted. And you, Hobden, are obviously a newbie.
No I am certainly not a "newbie" either as a gardener or on Usenet. Just didn't notice the crossposting, like you didn't notice the original posters locale and proceeded to be adamant about a way of growing garlic for your totally different/foreign conditions. So we both got caught out.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

If you look right up there, indeed the poster did give a locale. What do want? his mailing address???? Emilie

Unless someone was a local they'd not know that "Herts" is ghetto/slum speak for Hertfordshire.
The UK includes England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and the Isles... that covers a few different bios... don't need (or even want) an address, but a bit more specificity would help. It's only southern England that has relatively mild winters, most of the UK is just as cold and snowy as NY's Catskills.
"Sheldon" wrote Unless someone was a local they'd not know that "Herts" is ghetto/slum speak for Hertfordshire.
It's actually the normal accepted short version, even the Queen would use.
The UK includes England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and the Isles... that covers a few different bios... don't need (or even want) an address, but a bit more specificity would help. It's only southern England that has relatively mild winters, most of the UK is just as cold and snowy as NY's Catskills.
Not true, we are a Maritime climate you are a Continental type climate, totally different. Our climate is governed by the seas around us, yours by the land around you. The effect is your winter comes, stays for a few months then goes and spring comes... ours changes constantly and is all mixed up. Whilst it is colder the further North one travels it's still not constant like your weather and even then there are exceptions like the effect of the warm Gulf Stream on the West of Scotland. It's why we don't talk in zones.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I speak in zones but err on the low side just to be a bit on the safe side. Our local micro clime it colder due to low elevation I guess. Surrounded by swamps within 400 yards, Temp settles in on cold nights.
Bill likes Lindisfarne for some obscure reason.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

The Queen is a local. Blue blooded is no recommendation of noble mindedness... one can buy dogs with papers still gotta walk em.

Coastal US weather is governed by the seas same as the UK... you're grasping, obviously.
sometime in the recent past Sheldon posted this:

makes you seem informed while you point out the opposite very well. "The Queen is a local?" - what the hell does that mean? Never mind, I don't think I need a better look at the inner workings of your mind. If you didn't get 'Herts' you should have gotten 'UK' but then you'd have one less opportunity to quibble over a pointless point. And you don't understand the great difference between having a coastline and being a relatively small land mass surrounded by the sea. I live on the coast of Maine, but expect sub-zero temperatures every winter. While my climate is moderated by the ocean, move 10 miles inland and it all changes. There, the summer is warmer, but the winter is colder.
To anyone else, here's an url I found while looking up garlic-ing that I thought was helpful for my Zone 4 gardening. http://www.snellfamilyfarm.com/garlic.html
Sorry for the continued cross-posting. Cheers.
--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"

On 03/11/08 19:53, Sheldon wrote:

No, no..... "Herts" is NOT slum speak. It is the official abbreviation given by the Post Office and Royal Mail for the county of Hertfordshire in SE England.
Also, the UK does not include Ireland ( aka the Republic of Ireland). But does include the province of Northen Ireland. But what the heck are the Isles?
But hey I only wanted to know if my garlic and onions will survive now the tops have got bent over with the recent heavy snow and ice we experienced last week.
Ed (Herts, UK)

Welcome to a most interesting digression. Conversations are often like that!