Garlic

Have unearthed a quantity of garlic in a corner of the garden, which is sprouting. The roots are very long and was thinking that if I trim the roots back, like leeks, would they still grow after planting?

Reply to
geowicz

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I never heard of trimming garlic roots but roots or no roots they should grow after planting. Best to keep as much of the root as you can though!

Reply to
ciarandeb

Are you sure it is garlic? Normally garlic doesn't have long roots.

I would just replant them and let them go until the tops have died back( Normally July here in Kansas). I wouldn't worry about the roots being too long. Then I dig them up, clean them off, let them set (not in the sun) where the air can get to them for 10 days or so to cure. Then I cut the tops off except for the last 3 or 4 inches above the ball and store them in a cool room (not the fridge) until the end of August or first of September. Then I break a few of the balls apart, plant the larger cloves, and use the smaller ones. Then wait for next summer and do it all over again.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne