Gardens in the News

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2008/07 /04/whats_growing_at_the_white_house/?page=full
What's growing at the White House? By Ellen Goodman July 4, 2008
SCARBOROUGH, Maine
IT HAS BEEN decades since that famous forager Euell Gibbons reached through the White House fence and picked four edible weeds out of the president's garden. This is not something that the Secret Service would recommend you try today.
But Roger Doiron has a better plan for eating the view of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. He's started a campaign to get a kitchen garden growing on the White House lawn.
Doiron works out of his small Cape house in Maine, where I find him one summer day. A wasp-thin 41-year-old, he's part of the fastest-growing - I used the word literally - movement in the country. His organization, Kitchen Gardeners International, is one link in a loose chain of partisans who are neither conservatives nor liberals but locavores. They want to think global, eat local. Very local. As in their front and backyard.
He shows me the lawn sign that expresses his politics: "1,500 Miles, 400 Gallons, Say What?" It's a reference to the average miles food travels to your plate and the gallons of fuel used in its migration. It's not the sexiest slogan, but kitchen gardeners are probably as passionate about vegetables as Republicans are about tax cuts. . . .
-------
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-guerrilla-gard ening,0,6421881,full.story
Guerrilla gardeners dig in to beautify Los Angeles By LAURA E. DAVIS, Associated Press Writer 12:20 PM PDT, July 4, 2008
LOS ANGELES -- More than a dozen people, some wearing orange protective gear, pulled rakes and shovels from a dingy shopping cart and started working on a parched patch of land along a busy off-ramp of the Hollywood Freeway.
It was a Saturday night and drivers whooshed past on their way to the Sunset Strip club scene.
But the crew was undeterred, and by the wee hours, they had transformed the blight into bloom with green bushes and an array of colorful flowers.
City workers on overtime? Nope, no budget for that. These were "guerrilla gardeners," a global movement of the grass-roots variety where people seek to beautify empty or overgrown public space, usually under the cover of darkness and without the permission of municipal officials.
"What we're fighting is neglect," said guerrilla gardening guru Richard Reynolds of London, founder of the Web site guerillagardening.org.
Getting approval to beautify public property can be cumbersome, so guerrilla gardeners in cities worldwide take matters into their own dirt-caked hands. . . .
---------
http://www.aclu.org/safefree/torture/35111prs20080430.html
Home : Safe and Free : Torture Newly Unredacted Report Confirms Psychologists Supported Illegal Interrogations In Iraq and Afghanistan (4/30/2008)
Documents Obtained By ACLU Also Uncover "Widespread Use" Of Rescinded Unlawful Interrogation Techniques And Failure Of Medical Personnel To Report Abuses
Whoops, wrong news group. Bad on me;o)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Euell took a lot of grieve fro eating in a fast food place. No mention of the message just media ridicule. Ah it is nice to be a purist when you point the camera at others.

Locavores sounds like a tea shirts to wear about. Wonder who would care unless the message is real simple sort of like your food dollars at work transport or farmers?

Id say we are suffering from the lack of ownership. All this work yet if no one steps up for communion it is all for naught. By this I suggest a garden where someone cares fares better then one where the count shows up once a month.

Casualties of foreign intervention is not confined to combatants. People who do wrongful things carry it with them for life. Some may try to heal others just suffer and buy things to replace the heart damage. Hope is their families are spared but history paints a tale of abuse and divorce and sadness.
War what is it good for?
Bill Ranting
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

English, please.
In article

I will try my best.
Locavore or plural = Folks who see value in obtaining food close to home the closer the better.
Tea shirts with locavore may engender a few questions.
Granted it is not spelled out but it is a suggestion a way to ponder about the way our food comes to us. If you are not into these ideas that is OK but if a spark of intuitable possibilities occurs who could ask for more ?
Locavore in the context of the posted article is a new word. Perhaps you can help to define it.
Bill whose favorite word is educare . To bring out.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

In article

You sure your from California?
"1,500 Miles, 400 Gallons, Say What?" It's a reference to the average miles food travels to your plate and the gallons of fuel used in its migration.
Food tastes better and has more nutrients when it is grown locally. That's because it hasn't been bumping around in the back of a truck for the last week and lying on a display rack in your supermarket for another three or four days (fresher, in a word). If you purchase direct from the farmer, he cuts out the middleman and pockets all the profit. There is an environmental benefit in that fossil fuel consumption, for delivery (and if organic, for chemical fertilizers and pesticides as well) , is reduced. Check out you local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). http://www.localharvest.org/csa/ In your case it is Ocean Air Farms 150 Bolen Ln. Fort Dick, CA 95531
Contact Information Paul and Julie Jo Madeira, Ayer Williams 707-616-1632
And don't forget you local farmer's markets at Arcata Farmers' Market, (SAT): first and last few months Crescent City Farmers' Market, (Sat): entire market season Brookings Harbor Farmers' Market (Sat): entire market season
Got that vent chopped yet?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

The last paragraph goes."Eat the View doesn't have the marching sound of John Philip Sousa. It doesn't have the patriotic salience of a flag. But in dicey times, the idea of growing just a bit of your own food carries the real flavor of July Fourth. It smacks a lot of independence."
So you see, gardening is a revolutionary act. Viva la revolucion.

We are also suffering from lack of leadership, where property rights trumph human rights. I hope the Angelenos appreciate the life that these people are trying to breath into their world of concrete and black top.

Absolutely nuthin', say it again.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Ownership in the sense of stewardship. A return to the commons. But I dream. People helping the other even if there is not one.
Bill
Some Music yet again.
Farm Boy 3:38 Billy Bragg Mr. Love & Justice Rock
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Jingoistic veggie growing! I think I'm going to throw up!

what i want to know is why one needs all kinds of permits to beautify *public* property? if it's public, it's ours. we *should* take resposibility to clean it up & care for it. i think the problem is that we are so used to having others take care of things for us (how many city folk know where their garbage goes?), that we no longer know what is *ours* & what to do with it. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there