Gardening questions just post questions

If weeds grow so well why do I have to do so much to my soil or do I ?
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon
Bill who putters wrote:

It depends if you want to eat "weeds" that typically do OK on poor soil or heavy feeding cultivated plants that don't. Soil exhaustion is not something that was disovered recently it has been a controlling factor in agriculture for many thousands of years and in the case of the Nile and Tigris-Euphrates valleys (which are less affected than surrounding areas) significantly altered the course of history.
David