Gardening Pesticides for Fruit Trees

Hi does anybody know where I could purchase the following pesticides
Carbendazim and Fenitrothion? Thanks
-- Richard1957

Not from around here, are ya Bub?
--

Billy

Richard1957;787910 Wrote:

Hi, I'm a complete gardening novice, as you can see from my previou posts :) All I know is I started a tray full of sweet millions inside in a pretty cold room & only two worked out for me they're developin into great little plants now but it was only two out of about 12, lik I say I'm a complete novice just sharing my own experience, I know m friend's dad grew the same kind last year & they were delicious. Goo Luck
-- Freedom_Spark

Apparently so. http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pd_114d.html
--

Billy

Carbendazim: Toxic, Dangerous for the environment, May cause heritable genetic damage, May impair fertility, May cause harm to the unborn child, Toxic to aquatic organisms, May cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/Help_Pages/Help_Welcome/Product_Search/Risk__ _Safety_Statements.html#Risk%20Phrases
Fenitrothion: an organophosphorus insecticide, which acts by contact activity and a stomach poison. It is used for the control of insect pests in public health programs. (re: nerve gas, Cholinesterase Inhibitor)
ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION Toxic to fish and toxic to bees. Do not spray and plants in flower while bees are foraging. www.astra-agri.com.sa/products/pdf/msds/MSDS%20Fendure%20500ULV.pdf
Not the sort of things one finds in a gardening group, especially one that has the word edible in it. You may have better luck at alt.environmental.destruction .
Whatever your planning, I strongly suggest you don't do it.
--

Billy

Richard1957 wrote:

Richard,
Seems like Carbendazim is some pretty mean stuff. I found a few sources in the USA, so if you google for it, you may find some in the UK. What are trying to treat that requires such a strong chemical fungicide? Similarly, Fenitrothion is a very strong pesticide, so I have to ask again, what are trying to eliminate?
Have you tried less potent chemicals and found them ineffective? I wonder if you have any experience with chemicals, as you think Carbendazim is a pesticide.
Again, do you really need this strong stuff for your fruit trees, or are you just trying to get rid of your mother-in-law?
Sherwin
Hi Sherwin
I have the book 'the fruit tree expert' by Dr d.g. Hessayon and on pag 50 there is a title called Spraying programs in which it tells you t use these chemicals to prevent the following, apple blossom weevil canker, scab, capsid bug and many more diseases. It does say to dilute the stuff though. There is nothing wrong with m trees but I thought that it would benifit them. If it eliminates the mother in law too thats a definite bonus!! lol!
Do you have any other ideas on prevention of tree diseases?
Thanks
Richar
-- Richard1957

So, 0tterbot, what we have here is a non-American who has a book which describes diseases that his trees don't have but plans to spray them (prophylactically?) anyway. Which is to say that he read a book about problems that his trees don't have, and proposes to spend money to treat his healthy trees in the hopes that it will somehow improve his relationship with his mother-in-law. I don't know about you, but I'm feeling better already;-) Oh, I'm definitely pulling for the mother-in-law. I can feel her pain.
--

Billy

With a bit of luck one of the old boys in your neighbourhood will have some in an old glass jar labeled 'jam'. You might also be able to pick up some DDT or nicotine pesticide as well. Those will be in jars labeled 'chutney' or 'bottled peaches'. If you are not sure exactly what it is, mix a bit up with water and spray it on anyway & see what happens.
rob

come over here to NZ and if you are quick you can get a nice load of poisons. Local farmers turned in a load of chemicals. Included was 30 kg of 2,4,5-T, 350 kg of 2,4-D. They also dropped off 10 kg of lindane, 30kg of synthetic DDT and 15 kg of dieldrin.
rob
Richard1957 wrote:

Richard,
The general rule of thumb in starting a spraying program is to start with the light stuff first and work your way into stronger stuff, only if the need arises.
The two biggest insect pests in the USA for apples are the apple maggot and codling moth. Not everyone has these two, so people can get by with a general all purpose orchard spray. These sprays can be considered relatively mild and protect against insects and fungal diseases. If you find problems after applying these general purpose sprays, you can investigate other sprays that specifically target those symptoms. You can buy these general purpose sprays at your local garden shop. I don't think the UK has many special problems that we don't experience here in the States, so you can check our web sites for spraying info.
You have to go on a regular spraying schedule. Missing a spray date could have a big effect on how much fruit you lose, or the health of your trees. Experience will tell you how to tailor the recommended schedules for your exact location. Don't forget to wear protective gear (breather mask, etc.) when spraying any chemicals.
Regards to the Mother-In-Law,
Sherwin