Garden Report: Soil tests Back, etc.

Some of you might recall that I posted 3 or 4 weeks ago about how weirdly our 3-4 varieties of paste tomatoes were growing--- some with a little BER, most of them ripe looking on the outside but green on the inside and the foliage just not up to par in my experience. All that while our other tomato patch was just doing grandly with none of the same problems.

Since we only moved in here a year ago, we took two soil samples to our extension service and the results were quite interesting. PH was 6.5 &

6.8 in the two plots and most everything was either in the "high" or "normal" range according to the scale they used. But in the plot with the underachieving tomatoes the phosphorus content was VERY LOW. Trace minerals were all just fine including calcium. They told us not to add any more calcium. So it was not a calcium problem after all and it is interesting to see what happens to tomatoes in soil that is quite deficient in phosphorus. I am rather curious how the soil got to be that way. It had been lawn for about 13 years (with God knows what put on it) and was cow pasture before that.

Amazingly, they made no suggestions on how to correct this problem so my DH is calling them today. The plot we need to correct is about 100 x

100 with raised beds and little paths in between.

Today I put by 8 pints of zucchini relish. Despite a few problems including the damn deer finding ways to nibble at the edges before the Scarecrows fire at them, our garden has been very bountiful this year so far so I am filling up the shelves and freezer quite fast. This morning the cuckoos were cuckooing while I was picking the lower garden, trying to get it done before the sun fried me to a crisp. The last week has been a sizzler here in eastern Missouri and they keep saying there is a cool front moving in..... yeah sure. Happy gardening all.

Phae

Reply to
Phaedrine Stonebridge

The two organic amendments I know of that have relatively high P are wood chips (low N, medium P, medium K) and chicken manure (very high N, high P, low K). Most other amendments tend to have a profile higher in N and/or K.

Reply to
simy1

Great infomation! Thank you so much :)

Reply to
Phaedrine Stonebridge

... The last week has

May I ask where in eastern Missouri you live? I live in Chesterfield, western suburbs of St. Louis, which certainly qualifies as eastern Missouri also.

Guy Bradley Chesterfield MO zone 6

Reply to
Guy Bradley

May I ask where in eastern Missouri you live? I'm in Chesterfield, western suburb of St. Louis.

Guy Bradley

Reply to
Guy Bradley

I emailed you. Chesterfield is zone 6? I thought the St. Louis Area was 5b no?

Reply to
Phaedrine Stonebridge