garden pest id

I have looked and looked for a pic online to identify this particular pest. At least I think it is a pest...I thought at first it might me a red spider mite but these bugs are much bigger than I ones I have read of.

They are red for sure, and look like a spider, but 3 of them cover a cherry tomato.

Might they be really big spider mites or some other odd creature?

Ideas welcome, I know I have not given you wonderful folks much to work with.

Thanks!

Reply to
norma briggs

On Sun, 30 May 2004 04:08:10 GMT in , "norma briggs" graced the world with this thought:

just to make sure, you'er saying they have eight legs?

Reply to
belly

The legs too small for me to see, but they move like spiders and I have found webs on my plants. I did buy some of that triple action garden soap-I think Garden Safe is the brand and covered the plants with it.

Reply to
norma briggs

On Mon, 31 May 2004 10:56:51 GMT in , "norma briggs" graced the world with this thought:

give a look with a magnifying glass... you're right, though, the soap will probably work, or horticultural oil.

Reply to
belly

Alas, I caught some of the little buggers and took them to a nursery to find out what the pest were: teenaged stinkbugs! Horrors! Who knew pre adult stink bugs looked like that?

I am trying the organic pesticide they suggested for now, I hope I don't have to use those nasty chemicals to get rid of them, but I am not going to lose my whole garden to bugs.

Reply to
Norma J. Briggs

Wow, sounds impressive. Something's taken a liking to our limas, but we haven't seen it yet. Thought it was one bug I picked off the plants, but now that I've been watching it, it's a sucker, not a chewer. (Although I haven't researched whether a bug can be both yet. O.O) Anyway, I enjoy checking out the bugs in the garden. Mostly we only have centipedies, damselflies and dragonflies, ants, LOTS of spiders, some things that look like grubs (only in one garden), and the occasional brood X cicada--y'know mostly common stuff. It's good because I don't enjoy killing things. Glad you found out what you were up against.

Reply to
Liashi