Garden Lime

Can anybody tell me how garden lime is sold in france. I've looked in 'SuperU' and garden centres but I can't find Chaux anywhere.

Reply to
Mr McGregor

Look up the French word for dolomitic or dolomite and try that??

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

This may in fact find a place that sells lime but don't confuse garden lime with dolomite they are different and are used differently.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

But once he finds any kind of lime, if they don't have what he wants, they will know where to send him, don't you think??

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Ah, just send him to the White Cliffs of Dover and help himself.

Reply to
Bud

yes, or the place that has one is likely to have the other, that's why I said it may well find the right place.

David Hare-Scott

There is lime, CaO, and limestone, CaCO3. Dolomite is CaCO3.MgCo3. All can do the job of adjusting soil pH.

Reply to
Frank

It is true that all these will increase soil pH but that doesn't make them equally suitable for the purpose.

On a garden you wouldn't use quick lime (AKA hot lime ie CaO) which is quite harmful on the skin or especially in the eyes. It would quickly turn to slaked lime (AKA builder's lime CaOH2) and produce a lot of heat in contact with moisture in the soil. Even slaked lime is rather harsh to use on a garden as it is moderately soluble and may shock the plants and microorganisms by altering the pH quickly.

Garden lime (AKA limestone, calcium carbonate CaCO3) increases pH slowly and provides calcium which is an important nutrient. Dolomite is calcium magnesium carbonate which has a similar effect on pH and provides both calcium and magnesium, magnesium is also an important nutrient. However garden lime and dolomite are not interchangeable as they will effect the calcium-magnesium balance differently. Depending on your soil and what you are growing one may be much better than the other.

The moral of the story is: think carefully before adding chemicals to your soil, not just any one will do.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

How refreshing to hear a voice of reason and clarity.

Reply to
Thos