Garden Fence

Page 1 of 2
Fellow gardeners, listen up. It appears que le bonne temps va rouler. Our much maligned "weather guesser" is predicting that the "Left Coast" will be in the 80's tomorrow and pushing at 100F by thursday. If the past is any indication, the Mid-West is five days away from a heat wave. Enjoy the drizzle and overcast while you can, and get ready to "RUMBLE", er . . . garden, a last:o))
--

Billy

βœ–

...'bout damn time....
The local shamans (shamen?) have said that, after three to five inches of rain Thursday (in an area where a spilled glass of water causes flooding problems), we are in for FIVE STRAIGHT DAYS OF SUNSHINE. I have the feeling that, with double the normal rainfall since Thanxgiving, the ground has compacted, so that, with sunshine, it should harden into concrete. I have a feeling that my tiller (and I) will be busy almost all season. But, mayhap I can mow the two ft. high weeds that cover the plantation. There has not been enough drying time between floods to mow all this spring. Thank the FSM that my early crops are easy to find in 30 in. raised beds.
cheers
oz, changing oil, gapping points, and flushing fuel tanks
P.S. I found some heirloom seedling to replace the ones that blew away during the last near tornado.
Add pictures here
βœ–

     Dιploiement de ces paresseux, brumeux, fou jours de l'ιtι. Ces jours de soude et les bretzels et de la biθre. ~~Nat
It will be nice to see some warmth, though a hunnert is a little extreme. Thanks for your work as point man for those of us in the flyover. ;-)
Tornado hit NE Mo today, Shelby County, haven't heard reports. Tore hell outta south Mizzery again just the other day. Heard this is the worst since 1950.
Poor Oz, that sodden feller is floating away.
BTW......you gotta try this compost tea brewing. Hmmmm......wonder if Lee has any recipes for Compost Ale? ;-)
Charlie
Add pictures here
βœ–
Be careful what you wish for, so the adage goes. 90s for the Left Coast through at least Sunday, says the weather guesser.
We are working hard out here to send you some heat Charlie.
I'd better go, I think I hear the garden waking up.
--

Billy

βœ–

Have a care now and in your zeal overshoot Charlie's optimal range of 80-85F. ;-)

Perhaps mine will begin to awaken, thanks to your efforts.
I've the first batch of tea ready to go and am goin
Charlie, looking to to plant tomatoes and a bunch of other stuff this evening
Add pictures here
βœ–
Uh oh, no blankets,windows open, and attic fan on last night. 80F this morning at 7 AM.
Weather guesser predicting 101F for in town. We always run a little hotter.
Brace yourself Charlie;o)
Summer be a comin' in.
--

Billy

βœ–

Uh.......that is way out of range. Please resample.

Excellant!! Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer...those days of soda and pretzels and beer (Nat).
I put 10 maters in the ground and 6 in pots, 10 pots of peppers so far and am making a run to the plant place and pick prettys and trailies for more pots. Hmmmm......better get more potting mix too.
I've been making a mix that should be yummy in pots. New potting mix, old potting mix, compost, mushroom compost and composted bullshit and inoculated the works with super duper compost tea. No ratios, just what groks out right.
Planted bush beans, rattlesnake pole beans, more beets and carrots last evening also. Gotta get the cukes and zukes in today also. The weather appears to be going from winter to summer with little in between.
I alos made a piggy of meself with grass clippings. Wound up with 3/4 pickup load the other day and was hard pressed to do something with them before they got too smelly. Was reading that the best way to handle them is to spread them out on the drive and let 'me dry and them bag for use as mulch. Lovey only made a minor squawk about carpeting her drive with grass. Cost me a foot rub, it did.
Catch ya later Charlie
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ay, ay cap'n. Uh, better make that oy,oy, cap'n. I resampled and the upshot of it all is that IT'S "HOT".
We be 95F'd cap' @ 11:30 in the blessed AM.
I worry for Emilie, out there in the Devil's own furnace, a.k.a. Cantral Valley. I can't remember if she has elevation to moderate the heat or is just gonna' take it in the shorts.
Talk to you on the other side of the heat cap'n.
Shields up, er, umbrellas up.
--
Bush Behind Bars

Billy

βœ–

Oy vey, Mate....that sucks... cap'n Charlie melts at these temps!
Oh shit, this is not good! 95 am 1100 here is BAD!

Whoo boy.....this bodes ill!
Charlie
Add pictures here
βœ–

Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVTfcAyYGg&ref=patrick.nethttp://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0svwMdY&feature=related

Well Thank you Billy. We are not at any elevation other than about 200ft. So yes, it was a hot'un today. my little min/mx thermometer said "103.5" today. It's 80 at 9:30pm. Windows all open and fans are going it's fine. We didn't stay down here after lunch today. One nice thing about having mountains of a good size nearby. A 30mile drive and it was about 78 with a nice breeze. There are snow drifts in the shade at about 5000 ft ( also a whole lot of snow up at Lassen Nat Park....about 8 feet still up there at about 6 or 7000 ft. )
We went looking for early wildflowers at a few favorite meadows/bogs/ creeks. Found Trilliums, Dogwood, Saxifrage in bud, Cobra Lilies (or CA Pitcher Plant) in bloom, Marsh Marigolds (ours are white) Buttercups, Bleedinghearts, and Steer's Head (Dicentra uniflora). Lots of little green things poking their noses up and the creeks were rushing full of snowmelt. It was a nice day up there.
I have golf ball sized 'maters and onions, and the boysenberries are starting to turn red. I deadheaded roses until about 11 am when it got too hot in the sun. That's when we had lunch and headed for the "high country"
Emilie NorCal
Add pictures here
βœ–
This morning while walking in the gardens morning mist (it is usually fog, but this morning it's steam), I came upon a recovering cauliflower (pre-FePO4 treatment, gotta do it every 2 weeks) that has purplish-orange eggs (one group of 3 and another of 7) on the underside of its' leaves. Doesn't match description of cabbage worms. Probably innocuous, right? Or is this where I bring out the Sevin, flame throwers, and a tactical nu-clee-ar device?
--

Billy

βœ–
In article

Oh hell, just squish them, or remove part of the leaf. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

βœ–

That was just one plant that is recovering from some heavy grazing. My cabbage patch has 5 more cauliflowers and a dozen cabbages. I was hoping to avoid doing daily physicals on the Brassica;o)
--

Billy

βœ–
In article

I feel your pain... ;-D
I've had similar problems in the past with brocolli and chard. The worms actually claimed a horseradish. <sigh>. The worms have to be picked at dawn when they are out, and they can make seriously short work of the plants!
BT???
I've not given it an honest try yet for cabbage worms, but I've read and heard nothing but good about it.
--
Peace! Om

βœ–

Well, gave the rest of the cauliflowers their physicals, and no sign of more eggs. The cauliflower with the eggs is a good 50' from the rest of the brassica, in a six pack, with a couple of recovering green beans, an' balanced between two tomato arbors 'bout 3' off the ground, where the dogs and cats would be tempted to nibble them (yesterday I caught Lilly nibbling on the echinacea). Think I'll hold off on doin' anything that may be drastic or expensive.
I noticed a couple of patches of green where I had grown my dent corn last year. The Dent has gone feral on me. It no longer respects the roles of the gardener and the gardened. I thought that was the big thing about corn, that it needed to be planted. Well, I had just prepared a new bed for the Dent corn, so I guess I'll just dig them up and transplant them;-)
The weather gods have been merciful. After a quick run up of the temperature this morning, a breeze settled in and is keeping us around 99F accuweather.com & 100F weather.com:o()
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

I may have been a tad precipitous. It is 6 PM and 101F. Instead of dropping to 93F tomorrow, the forecast now is for 103F. Sunflowers came up today:-)
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

I've had wild sunflower coming up for weeks. <g>
--
Peace! Om

βœ–

Uhhh...sorry to appear ignorant about climate outside of me own backyard, but isn't this just a tad bit warmish for this time of year? And in your area?
Charlie, looking fer signs of some sort ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Oh, ye know how ma Nature is. Her habits are hard to divine. Last year we went to 109F in May, very peculiar thing to happen. In '96, we had rain in June, unheard of. Hot today, worse tomorrow. Only thing that makes it bearable is knowing that soon, everybody will be down in the same hole that we are in. Then we can all laugh about it;o) Uh, that's not PC is it? Hmmm
Watered everything twice today. Found my passion flower. Thought I'd lost it. Moving a hyssop down to the cabbage patch tomorrow and I'll look around for my aeration stone. Gotta get up early to finish the Dent corn patch. It just needs a little chicken doo, rock phosphate, and some wood ash, and the drip laid out. Beautiful plant, Dent corn. The Golden Bantam will be better eatin' but the Dent is spectacular too look at. Goin' to put some of the Mammoth sunflowers in with it. In the past I had them up by the road but now they will be down by the front of the house where I can enjoy them more with "happy hour" and dinner(once the mosquitos shove off).
Got "In Defense of Food " yesterday from the library. It's only a two week loan so I guess I should get to it.
Fickt Bush.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Is that the one by Pollan? I just saw him on TV, not 20 min. ago, giving a talk at UCSB on nutrition. Sounds like a great book.
cheers
oz, shopping at the outside edge of the supermarket
Add pictures here
βœ–