Gabbages

Page 1 of 2
Hi
Just a quick one. I am new to gardening and i have taken over a allotment. I am attempting to grow much of what is intended to go int the ground from seed. Most things have been pretty successful so fa but i have had problems with my cabbages.
I planted Greyhound and a type of red cabbage (Drumhead?). Nearly al the seeds germinated and when i thought they were ready to transplan to biiger pots i did so and moved into my cold frame
It looks like i have lost all of them! We have had no frso (UK-Midlands) and everything else is fine. I used Westland West Advanced compost with a little bit of lime in (i was advised to d that)
Anything i have done wrong or have i just been unlucky? It seem strange that i have lost them all (there are 1 or 2 still alive that didn't have time to transplant)
Thank
-- mw80

Cabbages do better in winter.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

I'm testing that this year....
I am sick to effing death of cabbage looper eater things. I'm thinking that since they disappear by late summer, I'll start and set out brassicas for fall harvest.
Charlie

Couldn't hurt. :-)
Will they grow in shade or does it matter? I need to consider putting in some chard.
If you are having trouble with caterpillars, try some BT.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

That's what I thought, plus it leaves me more room for summer crop. I've read brussels sprouts taste better with a frosting anyway. ;-)

Brassicas require quite a bit of sun, so it is said. Chard will grow in partial sun, or so it is said. ;-)

I am hesitant to use BT as I have dill that attracts swallowtails and have caterpillars from them every year. They are usually doing their thing at the same time as the other dumb things. sigh...
Perhaps "time, time, time.. is on my side, yes it is.", when it comes to brassica.
Charlie

I grew in partial sun during the winter last time I did them. Pretty plants and OH so tasty:
http://i17.tinypic.com/8ezxbua.jpg

So don't spray it on the dill?
A good place to move Swallowtails to is Parsley. It'll help on your dill if you did not plant enough. They also like fennel.

Indeed. :-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Brassica, in general, dump sugar into their sap in cold weather, as a form of anti-freeze, to lower their freezing point. As a result, they usually taste much better after the second or third frost.
--
Bush Behind Bars

Billy

It could well be slugs :-(
My brassica seedlings are still in pots in the greenhouse, even the kale. I haven't planted out my Grehound and January King (red) seedlings yet, I'll leave it until they're about four or five inches tall then bury them up to their lowest leaves - but using a solid copper collar round them. That will stay on all their lives, it really does seem to deter the slugs. The copper mesh and other devices aren't as effective in my experience.
We've had true April weather here in Leeds, Yorkshire, and I don't want to risk feeding the slugs any more than I can help.
On lime - I scatter lime on the ground where my brassicae are to live a few weeks before they go in. Well, that's the intention. I've forgotten this year :-) It won't harm to use slaked lime even after planting.
You're not going to have 100% success with anything, even when you've been doing it for a lifetime. My old beekeeping mentor used to remind me that you don't get a chicken from every egg.
On the other hand - want any tomatoes?
<G>
Mary

USE IRON PHOSPHATE BAIT Choose a bait product carefully. Baits containing methiocarb kill earthworms and beneficial insects. Baits containing iron phosphate (such as Sluggo, Escar-Go, or Worry Free) are safer for children and pets than baits containing metaldehyde. Nevertheless, always keep this and all other pesticides out of the reach of children and pets. After eating iron phosphate, snails and slugs stop feeding and die within 3 to 6 days. They often crawl into secluded places, so you may not see dead bodies. Reapply iron phosphate baits every 2 weeks.
I use Sluggo and i t works very well. It says on the container that it is safe with pets and children and can be used up to the day of harvesting.

counties.cce.cornell.edu/suffolk/HortFactSheets/factsheets/Slugs%20and%20 Snails.pdf into your URL. Yes I know it doesn't have a http:\\, just paste it in and hit return.

--

Billy

I don't.

Your choice. I don't use poisons. The lime, by the way, is to address the acid level of the soil, nothing to do with slugs.
Your poison would also kill snails.We have hens which eat snails as well as the other life forms you seem to want to kill yet which do good or at least no harm to the garden.
Mary

Hens aren't affected by iron or phosphate, but they will pull up or scratch out seedlings.

The alleged poison is only poisonous (iron phosphate) to the gastropods. "Iron" is is an indispensable mineral to your health and you probably already add "rock phosphate" to you beds. Phosphorous is important for the hardy growth of the plant, playing an important role in root development and cell activity.
You will not find elemental phosphorus available at nurseries because it is highly flammable.
I am enjoying my first, nearly slug and snail free year gardening.
I just got tired of doing the midnight patrol with my flashlight and stomping all those snails and slugs.
As my plants get larger, I won't worry about their predation so much.
Good luck with your garden;-)
--

Billy

Not in our garden, the vegetables are in runs. The hens range freely.
But I still don't want to use any chemicals to 'control' slugs/snails.
Mary

Hey, it's a free country, over there anyway. Hail Victory;-)
--

Billy

Indeed.
I'm not of the persuasion that would kill or destroy anything one didn't dislike or which was an irritant. If I were there would be fewer people in the world :-)
Mary

Mainly a good 500 politicians and a few thousand lawyers? <g>

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

That would be a good start;-)
--

Billy

In article

At the bottom of the ocean... ;->

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

I do believe we have an understanding:-))
--

Billy

your over there and I'm over here, and we are communicating, I suspect that you now have a dossier in Langley, Virginia, with your name on it.
If you want to run for President, I'll vote for you;-)
We are back to the lesser of three evils.
--

Billy

Hurrah!
I know they have one in Idaho but it's out of date now.

I don't.
Which reminds me, it's polling day here, I should go and make my mark if only to cancel out the neighbour's :-)
Mary