fruit vines on arbor

Hello all!
I've recently put up an arbor that is about 10 feet long by 6 feet high, and am looking for something to grow on it.
I originally got a blackberry, but then realized that was a bush (shoulda checked first!) I would like to get something that will give me fruit or berries off of it, as it is near my other fruit trees.
I am in zone 5a or 5b depending on who's map I look at. I am in central IL, and the soil is not that great where the arbor is. The house that was there burned down and the hole got filled in with mostly clay. In the last several years I have managed to spread enough leaves, woodchips, mulch, compost, grassclippings, etc over it, and till it in every so often so the ground is not as bad as it was. I even have a garden on that ground that is doing fine, but deep down the soil is still clay.
I have tried the local nurserys, and they always try to sell me some sort of bush. One even went so far as to say there is nothing that climbs and produces fruit. I asked her about grapes, and she replied "I suppose, but they don't grow well around here and the birds eat what little they produce. how about a nice blueberry bush?"
Any ideas on what I can plant that will climb, produce fruit, and tolerate less than perfect soil? (aside from grapes)

Check this site to find your closest extension service. They should have information on varieties of plants that grow well in your area.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html
--
Susan N.

Kiwi. It's beautiful, besides giving you good fruit. You'll need one male plant for several female plants.
Look here:
http://www.raintreenursery.com
There's a kiwi for every zone, down to about USDA Zone 2. (It grows wild in eastern Siberia.)
Jan USDA Zone 3
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

When they say the male needs to be "nearby" how close is that generally speaking? 5-10 feet? less than 100 feet?
email: dave-afo at mchsi dot com
please respond in this NG so others can share your wisdom as well!

I prefer to be within kissing distance but maybe that's just me.
In article

Hmm. I see *you* don't have an gender-identity problems : )
Dave, go read the page on the Raintree Nurseries website.
PLANT SPACING: 15 to 20 ft. for Fuzzy and Argutas. 8 ft. for Kolomikta.
http://www.raintreenursery.com/how_to/ACTI.html
Here's the page that describes the various kiwis that they sell:
http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype TI
Jan
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.