Fruit Trees

I have just bought a few fruit trees and need to know if I need other types or more than 1 of each for them to fruit. The ones I have are Nectarines, and Valencia Orange. I also have a single apple tree with both Golden Delicous and Granny Smith grafted on. Will this single tree polinate 2 Sundowners and 2 Galas situated around it? The Sundowner tag says it it semi self fertile. Does that mean it will fruit by itself but not to it's full potential?

Thanks Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Valiukas

With all those varieties growing in the sane vicinity, pollination should not be a problem--nectarines are a peach varient so that is probably self fetile--I trust you have a greenhouse to grow your orange in--Ohio is not orange territory. And since fruit trees are very susceptial to attack by all sorts of insects and diseases you had better get in touch with your local extension service and get the IPM program for your area--unless you follow the Integrated Pest Mangement spray program you may not get much in the way of decent fruit

Reply to
Frankhartx

I believe most Nectarines, like Peaches, are self-fertile, but would need the exact variety name to check for you.

Depending on how many blossoms of each variety get cross-pollinated, will determine the yield. Semi self fertile means it has the ability to be self-fertile, but it would do better if there were another variety tree nearby. Gala is somewhat self- fertile, but probably should be pollinated with Golden Delicious. You did not mention what varity of tree had the grafts on it. It may also act as a source of pollen.

Sherwin Dubren

Reply to
Sherwin Dubren