"fruit salad trees"

I am interested in a grafted multiple fruit trees for a smallish garden in New Orleans, one with stone fruit and one with citrus. Does anyone have expreience with these trees and can comment on their heartiness and the quality of their fruit? If they are acceptable does anyone know a reputable grower? Thanks

Reply to
nortyler

Close to 25 years ago, I bought and planted a multi graft apple and a multi graft pear. The results were very disappointing. They had placed the grafts on the inside surface of the original branches so that when they grew, they grew toward the center of the tree. They did this so the grafts wouldn't get broken off as they shoved the tree into a box for shipping. Some of the grafts didn't grow so I didn't get what I paid for. The ones that did grow were on branches that should have been pruned off if not for the grafts. Other desirable branches has to be pruned off instead.

I have 3 multi graft trees right now but I made them all myself. It works so much better to plant a normal tree, grow it for 2 or 3 years. Decide on the best scaffold branches and THEN do the grafts. Much better!

Steve

PS A good homemade soup might be hearty but plants are hardy.

Reply to
Steve