Fruit Flys

Does anyone know of an effective way to guard against fruit flys on peaches and plums. Each year I have been using Ortho Malathion 50Plus mixed according to directions on the container but it never does the job. Last year, I sprayed them practically every day and still they came.

Thanks in advance Bill

Reply to
Bill Orr

g'day bill,

i garden natural/organic and use variuos traps and detterants all on my web site on my remedies page, my best part of the program is the fruit fly wick which attracts and kills the male f/f.

but when you are trying to get fruit fly into control you husbandry around the trees must be good all and any f/f damaged fruit must be destroyed not mulched or buryed on site, heat destrys the larva so one method is to put dmaged fruit into a black plastic bag and hang it on the clothes line where it can get full sun to cook the damaged fruit then you can mulch it or bury it, any missed fruit will just help the f/f prolificate.

we're going more into citrus now as we not only have fruit fly to guard against but we have at least 4 sorts of native birds and fruit bats, all way too much work for the sweet fruit.

len

snipped

Reply to
len gardener