frost damaged chayote

I have been growing chayotes for several years here in Los Angeles. This year I had one day in which the temperature got down to 27 degrees Fahrenheit overnight. Both of my vines look dead. Are they likely to grow back from the roots or will I need to replace them?
If I do need to replace the vines, is there a variety or a growing technique that would let the vine produce for a longer period of time? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
I am TERRIBLY cruel to my cat. I actually cut of the ends of
his toes. It's just the hard, dead part that grows back but

The book I have says that it will grow back. Though that may apply to light frosts.