Friday the 13th!

Page 2 of 2
bluechick wrote: ...

a long time ago, someone said i'll give you the finger and ever since then it has never been returned no matter how many times and how many different people give it.
songbird
bluechick wrote:

It means the width of one finger in the bottom of a glass. Obviously the amount depends on the diameter of the glass and the width of a finger, so start with a little less and taste before you add more. But this is more accurate than the way I cook where except for bread and baking nothing is measured. My daughters ask me for recipes that I don't have so it has been known for one to follow me around the kitchen writing it down as I do it.
On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 08:54:30 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

Ah! So now I know. But since the actual amount depends upon the diameter of the glass (and the diameter of the finger), it's not terribly accurate or easily reproducible.
I don't measure much when I cook either unless it's a canning recipe or baking, especially bread. My great grandmother could create cakes that were so light they'd almost float away and she never measured anything. I remember her version of measuring something would be to use a clean tea cup to dip into a flour sack and throw that into a bowl. If I tried that method I wouldn't have a cake, I'd have a door stop.

Several years ago, someone (probably her daughter) asked my wife for he pumpkin pie recipe. But she didn't know. So the following Thanksgiving, she kept notes, tick marks in some unit (probably teaspoons) of spices iteratively added until "right."
The final listing might send pumpkin companies running away in fear, but it makes a tasty pie. And neglected leftovers have sometimes been in the garage fridge for about 6 months with only signs of drying, none of spoiling.
In previous lives, I cooked turkey and made pumpkin pie. Since marrying, I am not allowed to consider either. And given the results my wife delivers on both, I'm cool with that.
--
Drew Lawson | What you own is your own kingdom
| What you do is your own glory
On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 18:34:02 +1000, Fran Farmer

Yep, David explained to me too. Makes perfect sense but it's still an imperfect measurement. The diameter of the glass and the finger will be close but never match exactly from person to person. So, it's one of those things like a "pinch." Close enough for most recipes. Thank goodness it's not rocket science. :D