French shallots

Scored at the Ozark seed Swap today . Got 5 nice bulbs , do I break them into cloves and plant now ? I ended up being one of the people that lay their stuff out on a table . I had a lot more to swap this year . Brought home a lot too ... I need more garden space .
--
Snag

Terry Coombs wrote:

i've never had them before. if they are easily broken apart into cloves then i would break them apart before planting.

it would be fun to do that someplace here. :)
what else did you bring home?
songbird
songbird wrote:

Clay peas , skunk peas and snap peas . Black oil sunflowers , giant indian corn , orange bell peppers , cilantro and white liatris . Butternut squash , 2 kinds of watermelons , and peach cantalopes - the size of a peach , cantalope flavor "with a whang" . A very old variety , supposed to make a very nice jam/jelly . Also got some flat leaf parsley , pink hibiscus and one called "sweet root" , supposed to smell like licorice when bruised .
--
Snag

Sounds like probably actual licorice plant "Glycyrrhiza glabra". About 50 times sweeter than sugar. Don't overdo it, there are medical side-effects form excessive consumption.
That's not a don't eat, it's a don't overdo.
Ecnerwal wrote:

I was told this is a member of the carrot family and that it grows wild in this (N. central Arkansas) area ... don't know if that makes any difference in your opinion of what it is . Hmm , the search i did shows those seeds as round , this seed is about 1/2" long , similar in shape to a marigold seed but thicker , all black and pointed on both ends .
--
Snag

Terry Coombs wrote:

Further research leads to this being Sweet Cicely . also knpwn as aniseroot . A member of the osmorhiza family andrelated to carrots . Has medicinal properties .
--
Snag