Freeze alert

National weather service has a freeze alert for tonight. I have to go pick everything in an hour or so. Bummer.
There is a wind, so there is an outside chance ...
T wrote:

i hope it passes you by!
pretty much rained all week this past week. good thing i got some transplants done and a few ground cover plants divided up and put in place. looked at them today before i went for a walk and they look ok.
songbird
On 10/2/2016 6:13 PM, songbird wrote:

We've been pulling weeds and dying plants in the raised beds.
On 10/02/2016 03:54 PM, T wrote:

Four of my most productive zukes lost about 1/3 of their leaves. Everything else survived. Some of the tomato plants actually had new flowers on them today. Go figure.
There is another freeze alert for Wednesday. Dang!
Question: do I cut off the damaged leaves or leave them on the plant?
-T
T wrote: ...

with winter coming i doubt it makes that much of a difference.
we have two nights of low 40s in the forecast i suspect that will shut down the peppers.
gotta get out today to check them and see what is ready to be picked.
yesterday i got the squash out of the patches. around 160 - 200 of them, i gave up counting after 100. some are showing signs of rot in places with all the rains we have had. and since more rain is in the forecast i figured i would get them brought in. we'll give a lot of them away. tonight i'll start cutting up and cooking the ones that are damaged or the stem fell off so as to not waste what is usable from them.
but first gotta get the beans looked at for what pods might be ready to pick. with more rains if any are ready they'd start to rot on the plant in the pod. as it is i'm wondering if any of what is out there is any good. won't know until i go look...
looks like another beautiful day out there. :)
cheers,
songbird
On 10/05/2016 08:05 AM, songbird wrote:

I am thinking of throwing all the dead plants on the bottom of my onion beds (which I am still digging out). Should I throw them in the bin instead or is there no danger of spreading disease?
T wrote: ...

buried is what worms like. disease is just nature's way of making sure we aren't smothered by what she grows. things have a life cycle. disease is a part of that. buried, the soil microbes and the rest of the soil community deal with it, turn it into humus.
crop rotation is good for many reasons. :)
songbird
On 10/06/2016 04:30 AM, songbird wrote:

Thank you! It froze again last night, so I presume everything is dead now. They will go into my onion beds