Four Fish Book

<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/books/review/Sifton-t.html?_r=1&nl=boo ks&emc=booksupdateema1>
I walk away from the review thinking about the last wild food.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

<http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20030414203530data_trunc_sys.shtml Globally, 90% Of Large Fish Are Gone
<http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/05/0515_030515_fishdecline . html> Big-Fish Stocks Fall 90 Percent Since 1950, Study Says
<http://www.icue.com/portal/site/iCue/flatview/?cuecard9768 Global Overfishing: 90 Percent of Largest Fish Are Gone
And welcome to the 7 billionth person in the world. #12 billion is on their way. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/world/30population.html?ref=sam_roberts
--
- Billy

Wild Asparagus" and laugh. Or dead-ass Adele Davis. LOL! But, what the hell: They sold a lot of books to the gullible and I guess that's what really matters in this America.     Hey! What-the-hell's wrong with you? If you're going to offer a citation requiring "registration", at least provide us with a username and password. I can't imagine that the NYT, in this lifetime, would possibly publish anything of sufficient import to justify actually "registering" at its website.
--
the Balvenieman
USDA zone 9b, peninsular Florida, U.S.A.

Gibbons was a good man. Taught me about purslane ( Highest source of Omega 3 , Fiddle head ferns, lambs quarters and inspired looking into wild native plants. Not too bad a legacy. Adele I do know. NYT is not too shabby I guess that is what is wrong with me. That is your main problem lack of imagination pragmatic and monovision. Sad.
Look at my sig sometime.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
On 07/30/10 7:43 PM, sometime in the recent past Balvenieman posted this:

unimportant ass in the sand and say 'na na na na na' with your fingers in your ears and you'll feel much better in your bliss ie ignorance. Wait, isn't that Faux News calling to you in the background?
What an ass-hat!
--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

<much back and forth ad hominem deleted>
On a less serious note, am I the only one who saw "Four Fish Book" and immediately thought, "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish"?
Cipher wrote:

no, but i was a librarian so i have an excuse besides being a kid at some point...
songbird (who's probably never grown up
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net says...

><http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/books/review/Sifton-t.html?_r=1&nl=books&emc=booksupdateema1
I read St. Euell when I was 12 and Bradford Angier about the same time IIRC.
I was lucky to have my Gramdma, farm girl, one-room schoolteacher and later farm wife to identify things for me or I'd almost certainly have poisoned myself several times over
There's nothing wrong with the books. They were part of a milieu with no clieu(sic). Things change. Times change. People learn a bit more.
Most good ideas if they're overused become bad ideas precisely because things change.

Tried all the links. Saw no sign of the need to register.

Funny, I was thinking that in your case they were casting pearls before the swine. Euell Gibbons made the point that food didn't have to come wrapped in cellophane to be food, and Adele Davis reminded people that processed food is impoverished food. (Just check-out the USDA Nutrient Database to see the difference between white wheat flour and whole grain wheat flour.)
You could have offered criticism of their views, e.g. Gibbons adding white sugar to his foraged foods, but no, you used vacuous invectives, and added nothing but rudeness to the conversation.

And if you had even an iota of wit about you would have found reviews for "Four Fish" at Amazon by the author, and by several readers, which apparently you are not. <(Amazon.com product link shortened) 1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid80678094&sr=1-1>
Rising populations, unsustainable food, environmental degradation, and Global Warming, all based on fossil fuels are of no concern to you because . . . . there is no one else that you care about?
Some of us have family that we will leave behind, who will have to deal with the problems that you'd rather not think about.

I see you're not passing yourself off as a hippie anymore, just your average sociopath.
--
- Billy
Bill who putters wrote:

i remember when i was a kid that they kept saying that the oceans could feed the world and never run out...
i also remember thinking they were on drugs.
songbird