??? for Garlic Mavens in Re: Vernalization

    The grocery store garlic did O.K. although, the bulbs are a bit small. After keeping it in the fridge at 35 (all temps are Fahrenheit) for a couple of months, I planted it in early December , which means that we still had a long warm period during which the garlic began growing apace. January brought several successive days with overnight lows in the 20's and highs in the 40-to-50's. I just looked at the calendar and longest period was 5 days and even then highs ranged from 42-72.     Down here, the duration of temperatures below 40 is measured in hours; sometimes, hour;-) We occasionally have overnight lows in 30's as early as Thanksgiving (late Nov.+) but daytime temps remain in 60-70's+. I've never encountered soil temps below mid-50's. Although, approx. 7 miles distant as the honeybee flies, the data from this site are representative: <http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?refer=&sh437 . Notice the temperature scale tab in URH. As you can see, average lows do not represent winter as most of North America knows it.     For this year, I've purchased a variety of "artichoke" garlic purported to do well in the Gulf states' mild climate. It was mailed Tues. 31 Aug. Ideally, it should arrive today or tomorrow.
The Questions:     Refrigerator is a 35, the freezer at -
hnjyu (Damned Cat!) -5; which would the garlic find more agreeable for a couple of months? Not that I can do anything about, it but what how does our on-off again "cold" affect the development of the garlic? Would I do best to wait until January or February to put the garlic into the ground instead of setting it in December?     I've found almost no information on the WWW that is pertinent to my climate. "Experts" always assume the entire planet to enjoy a 4-season climate.
--
Any help appreciated,
the Balvenieman

Maybe close enough .
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mv064
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

    Thanks; I have that link. It really is kinda generalized. For example:

Likewise, the Florida forum on Gardenweb does not address my issues, although, I have yet to ask the specific question there.     For no particular reason -- save for a "feeling" -- I'm leaning toward a later planting date, although, it increases the risk of a rainy-season harvest.
OT:     Any effects from Earl yet? Judging from news reports, he appears to've had minimal effect on NC barrier islands. I guess the VAcapes are next.
--
Thanks again,
Derald

Earl is about 200 miles away at about 85 mph down from 145 yesterday. Still south of us. Whew! Right now it is gray with a constant low wind maybe up to 15mph. Told later around 5 Pm winds maybe gusting 45 and some rain. Lucky and now I have all our potted plants close to our front door.
Big storm !
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

According to AccuWeather you should be getting rain anytime now and the wind at 5PM will be around 17 mph. I presume that is an average, so you could get gusts up to 45 mph. Good day to read a book or watch a movie ;O)
--
- Billy
In article

I just came in from doing some light pruning. ;))
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

    A tip from a geezer who's been through more than one direct hit and/or sideswipe: Insofar as is practical, lay the container plants over on their sides. Doing so can minimize defoliation, whiplash and breakage. I've seen wind actually remove plants from heavy concrete pots. Also, folks down here just gather up outdoor furniture, umbrellas, what-have-you and dump them into a swimming pool, if there's one nearby. I'm not sure that would be the best approach for a BBQ grill or smoker, though....
--
Derald