Food and environment Early study Different

"Discover the details of the Double Pyramid by bringing your mouse to the food illustrations"

In 1992, the US Department of Agriculture developed and released the first Food Pyramid which concisely and efficaciously explained how to adopt a nutritionally-balanced diet.   Today, the Barilla Center for Food & Nutrition presents the Food Pyramid in a double version, positioning foods not only according to the criteria nutritional science has long recommended on the basis of their positive impact on health, but also in terms of their impact on the environment.   From ³Double Pyramid² can be observed that the food which is recommended more frequent consumption, are also those with minor environmental impacts. Conversely, foods for which consumption is recommended less frequent, are also those that have most impact. In other words, this developing new food pyramid shows the coincidence, in one model, two different but equally important goals: health and environmental protection.   Measurement of the Ecological Footprint for each food has been made starting from public data banks and scientific studies. The references are listed in the document ³Double Pyramid: healthy food for people, sustainable for the planet². We hope that, also thanks to this work, in the coming months the quantity of data available will be much greater. We will certainly take care to gather the new studies and update the average values where necessary for publication in the next edition of this work that we hope can be ready within a year. Anyone who wishes to call our attention to a study on the environmental impact of foods is welcome to do so, writing to snipped-for-privacy@barillacfn.com.

Reply to
Bill who putters