Florida Iguana Problem

question, please: the iguana are eating nearly anything that grows (and leaving some rather unsavory 'souveniers'). a radio garden show suggested liberal dosages of hot pepper/cayanne powder around the garden. could this be harmful to exisiting plants, particularly the banana and palm? any possibility the pepper could attract other insects? any suggestions, other than chemical, appreciated. thanks.
On 25 Dec 2003 16:13:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (OhJeeez) wrote:

Trap and sell them. I understand they're quite popular pets. :-)
Chile in various forms is often recommended as an animal deterrent. Some have reported moderate success. I've never read of it *attracting* anything, and it won't harm any plants.
<< Trap and sell them. I understand they're quite popular pets. :-) >>
hah! that's how they probably got here in the first place. not much of an issue until a year or two ago. some have gotten to 5+ feet long and, while they're (mostly) afraid of people, those tails have a reputation for whipping around pretty fast.