First crop picked...........

We had our first greens from the garden tonight; fresh young collards! The Swiss chard will be the next greens. They get cooked with olive oil and browned garlic. And no fear of e-coli or toxic poisons on any of it.

Why would collards have E-coli?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escherichia_coli
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins

This is an allusion to a problem with fresh spinach from California, that had been infected with contaminated water. http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/e-coli-found-near-california-spinach -farms.html No excrement, no e.coli. 'nuff said. Uh, however, to be on the safe side, when you cook a hamburger, be sure it is brown or grey on the inside, when you serve it (not pink). Otherwise, don't worry about it and chow down. Courtesy of the USDA.
- Bill
Can I have a garden burger, well done?
*snip*

Some would say I like a garden on my burger. Lettuce, tomatoes, onion, ketchup all go on mine. (There's been a few times I've said, "Sure, I like salad. On my hamburger.")
Puckdropper

Sorry, gotta have the pink in my burgers/beef. Still alive and kickin, enjoying my food as well. Like Puckdropper said, like my salad on it too. Though, I don't consider ketchup a vegetable. More refined sugar than anything else in its taste.
--
Dave

Ronald Reagan thought it was a vegetable, but isn't ketchup actually a "fruit sauce"? Last year I "canned" ketchup - a one time deal that I will *never* do again. All those tomatoes, all that time and I ended up with 1 pint (instead of the promised two pints). I've been afraid to even try it (for fear it's just awful and a waste of time and tomatoes) and have told my children that I'm leaving it to them in my estate. Sue

Dave, you sort of remind me of some ol' biker buddies of mine who would get loose by stapling each other. At least you have made an informed decision to consent to play Russian roulette with a caca burger. I have to admit I get vertiginous at the thought. The free market is supposed to be based on informed consent but nobody wants to tell me if the food I am buying is a GMO. At least with the caca burger, you might find a butcher to sell you the sirloin and who then would grind it for you. You may not feel better but I would:-)

No, I just won't conform to scare tactics for bland tasting beef. Have been eating pink beef all my life, I'm in my 50s. Sometimes a "cooked rare" beef steak. If you like the bland taste, go for it.
People been whining about this no pink/red long enough. Not enough dead people from this to constitute the whining as I sure never seen any numbers to constitute the allegation.
And, gasp, I sometimes eat some pink cooked pork.
Read up on how homo sapiens got the big head. That is, the large brain. It was meat. Red meat.
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins

Dave, I wasn't trying to scare you. I was advocating prudence. I even suggested buying real sirloin for your hamburgers. Yeah, I'm messin' with you but you must know it is a real concern. I guess you must cook your own hamburgers because the legal staff at a franchise wouldn't let them sell pink-in-the-middle burgers. Happy trails.
Oh, can you point me in the right direction about meat eating leading to larger brains? I'm curious about when emotional desire gave way to symbolic thought.

I was taught how to test, by visual cues and finger feel of hamburger (both cheap cut and sirloin) to get the medium/pink result without breaking the burger open. It varies some on the intial temp of the meat including the frozen variety.
Hamburger outlet, fast food or otherwise restaurants all have their problems and differ in prep, grill temperature, and cold storage just prior to cooking. Some continue to singe the outside and mildy pre-cook rare and stage in a container just barely warm enough to ward off germ growth on the outside, but the rare stuff inside never gets that hot until unusable for a burger due to setting time. Personnel training regarding cooking meat varies widely as well.
Its not meat eating, its eating red meat. Not fish or fowl. Found book in public library, unable to recall its title. Was also accounted on a discovery channel program that I saw a few months ago.
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins

Why? The same reason other greens get contaminated with that bacteria.

Educate us all . Lets hear it.
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins

Knowing it is bad enough without hearing it.
- Bill It's the stuff that comes out of the White House

I find it hard to believe he hasn't heard or read about what goes on in the fields where these vegetables are grown.

I'm surprised you didn't already hear it on TV or the radio. I wont bother to enlighten you since you feel the whole thing never really happened. I'll stick to either the greens I grow myself or the canned variety.