Finally warmed up

At least some. The last several nights it has been close to (or below) freezing but warming up during the day. But I have gotten my cool weather vegetables planted and they seem to be surviving.
I planted 300 lentil seeds (100 of 3 different varieties) and 100 spinach seeds (they are still just sitting there.) I have also set out onions, Swiss chard, beets, rapini and broccoli. The cabbage plants did not look good so I am tossed them and I bought some from Lowe's. Everything is in the ground.
The rhubarb will go in the ground sometime after the first of April and the tomatoes at some point after the middle of April. The eggplant and peppers will follow in a week or two after them.
The herbs have germinated pretty well and the eggplant and peppers were started yesterday.
I need to figure out how many tomato plants I have room for. Why do I keep buying more seed every year?
Now I can take a short break and clean the house. Company is coming!!
--
Susan N.

Wow...I feel lazy now ;-) What is rapini by the way? And good luck with all your plants! *is hungry now*

Rapini is also called broccoli raab. Part of the broccoli, cabbage, etc family although it tends to taste somewhat like turnip.
We have had rain for the last 4 days and I cannot get into the garden. I hope that everything is still there. I will go out and walk around the perimeter and see what I can see. I also need to check the weather for the next couple of weeks and see what nasties I have to look forward to.
But really need to stay in the house and clean.
--
Susan N.

But, the gardening, especially this time of year is much more enjoyable than the inside work.

We call it broccoli rabe and think of it as a bitter green. Some folks forage for it along road sides but you have to get it before the flowers open or too bitter. It sort of looks like broccoli getting ready to seed on immature plants.
<http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/broccolirabe.htm
I leave 8 miles from Vineland NJ. largest city in NJ area wise and also the self proclaimed Dandelion capitol of the world. We have a large population of Italian decent.
Bill who will be eating Dandelion tonight.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

We have 5% of the world's population; we have 25% of the world's
Oh ok I've seen broccoli raab in the nursery catalogs. Thanks.

I overdid tomato seed too; planted about four times more than I thought I would need for my garden space, assuming a low germination rate. Almost all of them sprouted and thrived.
So since I can never grow a good lawn out here in southern Utah, I figured I'd just lay drip lines across the front yard and put tomatoes out there. It's a good way to make something worthwhile out of a patch of land that refuses to look like a lawn no matter what we do. Hopefully our 120+ tomato plants will enjoy it. --S.
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 03:14:26 -0600, "Suzanne D."

about 100 plants. The neighbors got tomatoes and I took small boxes of cherry type tomatoes to a family gathering. I think I spent most of August and September preserving tomatoes.
--
Susan N.

We are a family of six that LOVES tomatoes. Each of my four boys could probably eat 20 tomatoes in a single day. They roam the garden in the summer, just grabbing tomatoes (and peppers, cucumbers, beans, carrots, etc.) and eating them as they play. We also love to make sauce. And yeah, the neighbors will get some as well. Seems like, despite getting hundreds or even thousands of tomatoes in a summer, there still is never enough. --S.

Sounds like heaven.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

We have 5% of the world's population; we have 25% of the world's
When I still did a big garden, I once put out 50 plants. I finally set a box of plastic bags out and a sign that said, "You pick'em, you can have'em". Amazing how many people will take tomatoes if you pick them and deliver them but don't want to "get dirty and have that fuzzy feeling after being around the vines."