Film cotainers for seeds? R They Safe?

I was thinking of useing old film containers to store seeds for next year but someone said that these containers are full of chemicals and aren't safe for seeds. Does anyone use these, or has any knowledge in regards to the safety of using film containers to store seeds in?TIZ

Reply to
<snowman_hill

someone said that these containers are full of chemicals and aren't safe for seeds. Does anyone use these, or has any knowledge in regards to the safety of using film containers to store seeds in?TIZ

Aren't safe for who? You, or the seeds?

I use them to store seeds; they work just fine. But I'm switching to tiny plastic zipper bags because they take up less storage space.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I put them in a paper envelope and write the info on it, then drop them in a ziplock. Biggest issue around here is weevils.

Reply to
Omelet

someone said that these containers are full of chemicals and aren't safe for seeds. Does anyone use these, or has any knowledge in regards to the safety of using film containers to store seeds in?TIZ

I like to use film containers because they are air tight and, if packed in low hunidity, will keep the seeds dry. They do take up more space than ziplocks, but most ziplocks are not gas tight and difuse water vapor and CO2.

Reply to
B. Server

someone said that these containers are full of chemicals and aren't safe for seeds. Does anyone use these, or has any knowledge in regards to the safety of using film containers to store seeds in?TIZ

A few years ago there was a letter in Cook's Illustrated which recommended using film canisters to pack condiments for picnicking. In the next issue they printed a note retracting that suggestion because film canisters are not made of food-grade plastic and therefore could leech nasty stuff. Whether that would affect seeds I don't know.

Reply to
Pls_reply_to_group

someone said that these containers are full of chemicals and aren't safe for seeds. Does anyone use these, or has any knowledge in regards to the safety of using film containers to store seeds in?TIZ

Could be. I doubt it. The containers are intended to contain unexposed film and consequently, I would bet that they are designed to outgas very little under any circumstance in which you would want a live seed to be stored. If you leave them on the dashboard of your car parked in Phoenix in August, the outgassing will be the least of the problems.

Cook's Illustrated is basically saying that it is not a good idea to store food that you will eat in containers not intended for food.

My experience has been that they are a lot "safer" for seeds (not food) than leaving them in ziplock bags; most of which are not gas tight.

YMMV

--BS

Reply to
B. Server

I use a variety of things for seed saving, these include; film canisters, envelopes, dark brown glass bottles from medications/vitamins, clear glass vials that used to hold vanilla pods, small Moccona coffee jars. And if I'm stealing seeds from a plant I see when I'm out and about it can be a tissue or a handkerchief or just the zippered section of my purse or my pocket or......

Reply to
FarmI

Don;t get pulled over by the cops or customs with any seeds in a film canister. They get VERY excited when they find film canisters in a behicle they are searching. I remember one case where I was stopped at the Texas/Mexico border and searched. This was before digital cameras and I had about 50 canisters strewn about my car full of just about everything (pennies, nickles, quarters, screws, bolts......) I was clean, but the border patrol got sooooo excited every time they found a new one. Good thing I was clean, 'cause they sure were looking.

Note to self, don't drive across the border wearing a tyedye with long hair and grateful dead stickers on your truck. I fit the profile, I just don't partake.

Take care, Sexton

Reply to
Scott Sexton