Figs

I have a patch of figs but I am never able to harvest more than a few before the first frost hits. I am wondering what I could do that would extend the growing season by about a month or two. I have heard of fig trees but I have what looks like bushes. Every Spring it starts over. I have heard stories from old-timers who claim their fathers would slowly bend their fig tree over in the Fall and bury it with excellent results. I am considering building a cold frame to get the roots warmed up sooner this Spring. Any experts out there? Thanks.

Dave in STL

Reply to
Davej

A friend in upstate NY [in a cold zone 5] had a 15'[?] fig tree that he 'bent over and buried' every fall. He got a bushel or 2 of figs every year.

He got sick and had to make some choices so last time I saw his garden he had 3 4' fig trees in maybe 20 gallon planters. They were 3 years old and should produce at 4-5. He moved them into an unheated attached garage for the winter. I don't know how that worked out.

Was it this group that someone posted the link to photos of the Brooklyn fig tree?

Jim Elbrecht

Well, I would like to understand how this scheme works. Obviously wrapping or burying the tree isn't going to keep it from freezing, so then what does it do? Keep it moist? Keep it dry? Or what? I don't have any hope of a tree at this point so what would an expert do with this fig bush? Thanks.

Reply to
Davej

As an update -- elsewhere on the web I have read that fig plants prefer to be kept dry during the Winter, so I am going to construct a plastic coldframe and try to keep them dry.

Reply to
Davej

Here in northern NJ, I have my figs growing in tubs and overwinter them in an unheated garage. They thrive, but it took me a while to find the right method.

All my figs are in tubs. I had lost a few of them over the years, even with wrapping the trunks or insulating with burlap and layers of leaves or even wrapping the tubs.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Do they look like trees or shrubs? Do you need to cut them back to fit them into the garage? Thanks.

Reply to
Davej

There are numerous varieties of fig trees. Pick one that ripens earlier in the year. For example, the blackjack fig ripens June - Sept.

Here's a Google link showing some varieties:

Red

I need to learn the tactics that can be used outside the accepted growing zones. The fruit can't ripen earlier in the year if the plant has to first grow up from the roots.

Reply to
Davej