Figs

I am thinking of trying something next Spring. My figs never produce more than a handful of fruit because it seems they need about a month more warm weather than they get here. I'm wondering if I built a cold frame over them in the Spring if I could perhaps warm the soil and get them started growing a month earlier. Does anyone do this? thanks.

Reply to
Davej

I haven't done that because I don't have the problem but it sounds like an idea worth trying to me if it is not going to be too expensive. How big would the cold frame have to be?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Something like a 4ft diameter circle for each plant.

Reply to
Davej

You should be able to do that with a polypipe frame and cover with clear plastic for not much money. It would last a few seasons and tell you if the idea is going to work.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott