Fifteen year old Okra seeds

While cleaning in my basement this weekend (a traumatic thing to do cuz I'm a packrat) I found a jar of okra seeds that I saved about 15 years ago. Maybe 16 or 17 years, but less than 20. I started to throw them out, but I was curious if they might still be viable. So I took about a dozen seeds and soaked them overnight (didn't look promising, half of them were still floating the next morning) and then wrapped them up in a damp paper towel. When I peeked at them this morning, most of them were already sprouted -- that's less than 48 hours.
They are telling me that I need to plant okra next year.
Bob

Cool beans... :-)
Speaking of which, you are aware that bean seeds found in archeological digs 1,000 years old still sprout on occasion.......
A little water is always cheap to see if seeds are viable.
Well done!
--
Peace!
Om

zxcvbob wrote:

Not really Bob. We have three okra plants that are really producing and I've already frozen a years supply. Swing by on your next trip home and I'll load you up. <VBG>
George
Just started some seeds in the ground for a fall crop, came up in three days.
Now, how to pickle them.
George Shirley wrote:

Go online for some good okra pickle recipes. Personally I wouldn't touch an okra pickle with someone else's fork. Never did like them any way but in a gumbo or fried.
George
Sammy Shuford wrote:

I di love them fried, but time to fry them and work!