Fertilizer question

Hi

I have 3 Raised beds. 1 with beetroots and carrots, 1 with lettuce and other salad leaves (mizuna, corn salad, rocket, oriental mustards) and 1 with corn and french beans.

I poured in loads of topsoil (40%) compost (60%) mix back in February. My garden is now going great guns. However, I am not sure if I need to add any fertilizer to any of it at any point, and if so?what?

Thanks.

Reply to
anthony123hopki

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

What kind of compost? Normally, you should have 5 - 10% organic material in the soil as the soil organisms will tie up nitrogen in breaking down the carbon rich organic material, BUT since it doesn't seem to be a problem for you, leave it alone. If you used composted manure, you may need to add more organic material EVENTUALLY, but not until you have reason to.

Reply to
Billy

The corn might be happier if given a side dressing of fertilizer (balanced, or possibly heaviest on the N), just before the tassels appear, or certainly before they shoot up. My personal preference is for organic fertilizers.

I normally don't add fertilizer to anything other than corn during the growing season.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz