Fall report

I continue to eat a bowl of green chicory every night. I just finished the chard, except for small leaves that will end up in salads. Anytime is good for potato-sorrel soup these days (as well as any dessert containing pears, I got tons of both potatoes and pears). I have not even started to graze the arugula, collard, red cabbage, cardoon, and red radicchio, though collard will follow chard and red radicchio+arugula will follow chicory. Some beets, too are still in the ground.
For next year, mult. onions and garlic are planted, plus hardy lettuce is three inches tall and I will start harvesting it in April. The tatsoi did not develop in time, so that will be eaten in the spring too. The mache bed is covered in mache that will overwinter uncovered for first harvest in April. I also have some large green chicory that I selectively did not harvest and that will make small heads in late december (under cover) - these are usually the very last harvest in January before the Big Chill. I am in Michigan, and I will cover my beds with a poly tunnel shortly after Thanksgiving.
On 28 Oct 2003 10:19:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (simy1) wrote:

(from Northern PA, one of the colder areas of Zone 5).
You're doing better than I am... I didn't get many fall things planted (we thought we were moving, and I didn't have the heart to do so).
Nevertheless, we have sorrel, radicchio, lettuce, chard and kale. This is nice. I planted garlic also.
Indoors, I have miniature tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants growing. Also Spicy Globe Bush Basil, and I'll be starting cilantro tomorrow and then one batch of cilantro each week...
Pat
--
To email me, remove the spam trap and type my first
name in its place.

I live in Southern California, and have started my winter garden as well... Cabbage, broccoli, chard, eggplant, cauliflower, lettuce, onions, shallots, spinach, peas, many herbs, carrots, brussels...
And I'm also growing a nice supply of whiteflies, if anybody would like to take these off my hands... I'm starting to get a handle on them though...

our
i LOVE this time of year :) cools off enough so that you can enjoy the outdoors i could spend HOURS in the garden :)

My mornings are great right now... I don't leave for work until 10 am, so from about 7 (or maybe 8) until 9:30 or so, I just tinker around in the garden... Good way to get the day started.
I'd be interested to know how your tomatoes and corn and cucumbers and these other "warm weather" plants do in the winter... I normally stick to the hardier plants in my winter garden...

well, so far it has been staying in the low 80s during the day and the high 60s at night (and according to the forcast will stay that way for another 2 weeks)
otherwise, it's florida :) we MAY get a freak high 40's night this time of year, but thats a one timer...

high
2
update on FL weather, looks like mid 80's for at least 2 more weeks.... my garden is SO happy...