extremely prolific pepper for the pepper challenged?

I've tried growing pepper plants, and never had much luck with them at any of the 3 different properties where I've lived in Ohio. (NW & SW) I've used plenty of composted cow manure, mulched the ground around them with straw, etc. I never get much of a yield. I have gotten large plants one time, but still didn't get a lot of peppers.
I can't stand hot peppers, but I do like sweet peppers and mild (pickled) banana peppers. I like jalapeno peppers that have just a tiny bit of heat to go with cheese and nacho chips.
I'm interested in a variety that is known for amazingly prolific yields, and also mild enough for someone who just can't stand much of any pepper heat.
I'd be most likely to eat them fresh, perhaps stuff with some cheese, or grill them with some kebabs.
Thanks!
Ohioguy wrote:

"Gypsy". I think it was an All America winner about 15 or 20 years ago and then kind of disappeared. I've started seeing them again sometimes at the garden centers. Mild blocky yellowish-green peppers, kind of like a banana pepper but fatter. Turn orangy-red eventually. Extremely prolific (at least if you pick them green.) HTH :-)
Bob

That is actually one of the 3 varieties that I tried in 2008. I got big plants, but not a lot of yield. Story of my life!

Try giving them an extra feeding of bone meal for more flowers.
--
- Billy
Ohioguy wrote:

makes me think you are overdoing it on the nitrogen sorts of nutrients.
also, i never have mulched peppers as they like it warm soon as they hit the ground.
songbird

perennial. Rich pepper flavor; great texture; low-to-moderate heat, depending on preparation. Becomes much sweeter and certainly retains more of its flavor when ripe (red) than so-called "sweet bell" peppers (California Wonder, for example).