Experiment results

In the spirit of 'nothing goes to waste' we were given a high end juicer this Spring from some good friends who'd purchased a higher end unit. After a working demonstration, complete with a glass of fresh vegetable juice, and cleaning tricks, we deemed it worthy of a sacred spot on our smallish kitchen counter top. Not an easy feat!

Ultimately we decided on a method to this newfound madness. At the end of the week we'd feed whatever is left in the vegetable crisper and/or tuber drawer to the juicer. The fruit department was also fair game. The juice was then poured into ice cube trays and frozen. Then put inside labeled & dated zip lock freezer bags.

After a couple of weeks into this new routine, we fine tuned it some. Decided on three base liquids to add the fresh juice to prior to freezing; chicken, beef, and tomato. We use bullion for the chicken and beef broth bases and V-8 for the tomato. We've since added a cup of whatever fruit juice is handy for the fruit cubes.

I must say that adding these veggie cubes to sauces, soups, stews, gravy and even drinks is a huge hit in our humble abode. Ditto with the fruit cubes! Besides all of the obvious goodness this provides, the best is that every batch is a little different. After all, variety is the spice of life. Even just a couple of veggie cubes can turn a bland can of tomato soup into a taste treat. Two thumbs up!!

Newb

Reply to
newb

Great I hope you have the same spirit all your life. Pass it on !

Reply to
Bill who putters