Excess cucumber

Page 1 of 2
Other than cucumber sandwich and pickle how else can I use up a lot of cucumber without too much work?

Make this cold starter/appetizer:
Shredded Chicken in Red Chili Oil
Poach a chicken in barely simmering water with a large sliced onion, a teaspoon salt amd 6 slices of fresh ginger. Drain and cool. Remove skin and bones and shred the chicken. Refrigerate. (May be done ahead.)
Cut 2 medium cucumbers into shreds or julienne. Skin if peel is bitter, seed if necesary.
Mix these sauce ingredients in a bowl: 3 TB red chili oil 1 or 2 TB minced garlic 1 or 2 TB minced ginger 2 TB peanut butter 2 TB green onions, chopped 1 TB sesame oil 2 TB vegetable oil 1/2 cup light chicken stock 1/2 tsp salt
Arrange cucumber on a serving plate, pile chicken on top, pour the sauce over. -aem
James wrote:

Um, let me introduce you to Cyberdill-do.

I like cucumber salad. I'll peel and dice it, add some quartered mushrooms and some diced tomatoes and toss it with ranch dressing or whatever creamy dressing I have. You can also dice a cucumber and mix it with plain yogurt and some cumin.
Paul

Almost forgot an old favorite: marinated onions and cucumber salad. It's made with equal parts rice vinegar and sugar, salt, thinly sliced cucumbers and sweet onions and some dill.
Paul
Paul M. Cook wrote:

Mmmm - definitely good. I've been tempted try cold cumcumber soup but never have.

Bajan Souse
1.2 kg meaty pork juice of 4 large limes salt 1 medium onion, very finely chopped 1 large cucumber, peeled and finely chopped 1 hot pepper, seeded and chopped parsley
Wash and clean pork. Place in a large saucepan of boiling water and simmer until tender. Remove the meat from the saucepan and plunge into cold water. When cool, remove and cut into bite-sized pieces.
Put the pork into a bowl and make a brine with the lime juice, water and salt to taste, about 500 ml of brine. Mix this with the onion, cucumber and pepper, and then pour over the meat. Cover and chill for several hours before serving. Garnish with parsley.

Cut'em up and put'em into your soups and stews.
Yum.
Henriette
--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.henriettesherbal.com

I just peel the cuke, cut spears, salt just a leetle bit (really) and eat. We also like a cucumber salad -- slice the peeled cucumber and mix with some sliced or chopped onion; add some vinegar, a little sugar, some s&p, and enjoy. A side benefit is that you can add some of the dressing to fresh green beans if you have those at the meal, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back and

There is that greek dressing where you drain and purree cukes and what not.
--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1918,149187-245199,00.html

How about an easy-to-make Korean cold cucumber soup, oi naeng guk? ("oi" means "cucumber, "naeng" means "cold", and "guk" means "soup"). Here is a nice video: <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm4A46PpHlo
.
Victor

How about this: Skin and cut them up to small square size. Put lemon or lime , sprinkle some salt and eat. You can put some thinly sliced onion (washed before mixing).
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:42:24 -0700 (PDT), James wrote:

Cucumber Kimchee
3        cucumbers; peeled 1-tablespoon    salt 1-tablespoon    red pepper powder 1-tablespoon    garlic; minced 2        green onions; sliced
Seed the cucumbers and cut them into 1" pieces. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 3 hours in a colander.
Rinse and pat dry.
Add the red pepper powder, garlic and green onions. Mix.
Chill for 24 hours.
It's the perfect accompaniment to:
-------
Bulgoki
1 lb. lean beef (for example, sirloin tip) 1 T. sugar 2 1/2 T. soy sauce 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 2 medium green onions, thinly sliced 1 t. sesame seed, toasted and lightly pounded 1/8 t. black pepper 1/2 t. sesame oil
Cut the beef against the grain into thin slices about 1/4" thick. Place the beef in a bowl and add the sugar. Mix well and let stand for 10 minutes.
Combine the remaining ingredients and mix well. Marinate for at least two hours before cooking.
Grill on a charcoal fire or oven-broil at 450F for about 1 minute on each side until browned.
-----
Personally I like to stir-fry the beef in a wok with the marinade and serve with white rice.
Bulgoki, rice and cucumber kimchee. All that's missing is a bottle of Soju.
--

-Jeff B.
snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm

James wrote:

I shredded a bunch of cucumbers and put them into vodka. Let sit for a few weeks and then strain through a coffee filter to get cucumber-infused vodka.
Bob
Bob Terwilliger wrote:

Yum. Any good cocktail recipes to go along? We have loads of cukes right now, and I am using them every which way. This sounds like a good use for us, as we're hoping to do various vodka infusions with our garden produce.

If you have strawberries, vodka infusion works especially well with those. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

Omelet wrote:

OM!!!!!!!!!!!!! How lovely to see you posting:)

From rec.gardens.edible. :-)
Cheers O'!
--
Peace! Om