Everything in my plastic greenhouse is dying!

I have a plastic greenhouse containing cucumbers, courgettes and three types of tomoatoes; plum, golden and russian black. Everything was going well until last week when some of the leaves on my tomoato plants have started to go get black spots on them. The spot spreads and then the leaves die off. This is now affecting some of the side shoots and is working it's way up the plant. It seems to have spread and my cucmber leaves are starting to die off. I regularly feed the plants as the tomatoes now have small fruit on them. I water them once per day in the evening but it is very humid in there at the moment. The plants are in grow bags and I live in the North East of Scotland. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it! Any comments would be greatly appreciated as I will be a bit gutted if I lose everything!

Reply to
TomatoBecky

Heat + humidity = mold.

You can probably wipe the mold off. You may try a dilution of

1 tsp. baking soda hand soap (not detergent) 1 qt. water

Dissolve baking soda in the warm water, then add the rest. Wait for all to dissolve and use.

Probably a good idea to clip off any mold that won't wipe off.

Reply to
Billy

Heat + humidity = mold.

Open green house (top and bottom, or from end to end) to allow escape of moisture, and don't wet the leaves or flowers while watering.

You can probably wipe the mold off. You may try a dilution of

1 tsp. baking soda hand soap (not detergent) 1 qt. water

Dissolve baking soda in the warm water, then add the rest. Wait for all to dissolve and use.

It would be a good idea to clip off any mold that won't wipe off.

Reply to
Billy

Without a visual it is difficult to assist you. Try to ID if it is fungal or bacterial here.

here:
you have a possible ID, these sites should have some info to help you with a protocol to address your problem. Regardless of gardening philosophy, I recommend you get a bit aggressive in addressing this as you are already playing "catch-up". I'm sure you know to properly dispose of the diseased material and do not reuse those grow bags for obvious reasons.

I also have a greenhouse in a cool humid climate, using both soil and hydroponics, so I appreciate your challenges. I recommend you establish a solid program of preventative maintenance early on because when you see these problems, it is usually too late. There are many products out there, organic and conventional to use (many separated only by a slight definition). I use mostly sulfurs and oils, the occasional copper and bicarbonates, if necessary, and yes, even the occasional "evil" chemical pesticide when necessary. Do watch using these some of these mineral/oil products with cucurbits. A form of Bordeaux mix or a bicarbonate ( may also boost your N a bit) as a preventive measure may help just your green house.

Please followup here so some of us may know what you found out and how you address it.

the best to you.

Reply to
gunner

Hello...im new here so i was wondering what this group is about? ....hang in there tomatobecky...i hope it'll work out. Thanks!

Reply to
CJ

Thanks very much for your replies. I really apprecaite it. I have cut off the diseased leaves and shoots but I think I am going to have to take more drastic measures!

All of the suggestions have been really helpful!

Reply to
TomatoBecky

Try powdered sulfur. Humidity equals mold, got a fan in the greenhouse to exchange the air?

Reply to
Bud

Sorry to hear about this! I had the exact same thing happen to me last year with a new pop up plastic greenhouse. I put one of the spotted leaves in a ziplock bag and took it to a local nursery. The person there said it was a virus and to strip all the diseased leaves off. Let me tell you, by this time I had some pretty scraggly plants. In the end I put the plants outside and took down the greenhouse. The plants never really caught up growth or production wise.

This year I skipped the house and my plants are much happier even with our cool foggy weather here.

Hope you fare better!

marcella

Reply to
Marcella Peek