epson Salt?

Gentle People, How much Epson Salt should I feed My tomatoes? How much in a gal. of water? Thank You for your trouble. Jerry, Long Island NY

Reply to
Jerry Minasi

We just started using Epsom salt this year, and are very impressed with the results on tomatoes, peppers, and the lawn. Foliage is noticeably greener and fuller, while producing the same amount of more of fruit.

We are using a hose-end sprayer (miracle-grow type), and filling it up with Epsom salt (which dissolves easily). It is my understanding (and current experience), that, unlike fertilizer, you can't hardly burn plants with too much Epsom salt. Some soils are more deficient than others in magnesium or sulfate; so I suppose it is possible to ultimately use too much in any given soil.

Do an internet search on Epsom salt for more information. Here's one of the better non-commercial links:

Reply to
larry spellman

Spoonfull

Reply to
Beecrofter

I use about a half cup per 5 gallon pail of water, and about quarter strength of Peters 20-20-20 plant food. Then, I disolve it all up, and use a mister (really just an old glass cleaner bottle) and spray the leaves.

I understand that foliar sprays work better if the nutrients get to the UNDERSIDE of the leaves, so I go around the garden and get each plant separately.

Seems to work like mad. My peppers looked like they were going to die a couple weeks ago, and now they are ENORMOUS and lush green.

You can overdo it though--too much of a good things.

Reply to
Bpyboy