Energy, health care, agriculture, climate change, global outbreaks like swine flu

Page 1 of 2
http://www.democracynow.org/2009/5/14/omnivores_dilemma_author_michael_po llans_new
Energy, health care, agriculture, climate change, global outbreaks like swine flu. What do all of these topics have in common? Food. Thats right. None of these issues can really be tackled without addressing some of the fundamental problems of the food system and the American diet.
--

- Billy

I'd really like to find a flaw in such an overarching generalization, but I can't. Thanks for the link.

People with simple answers never understand the problems.

Can I get a citation on that?
--

- Billy
The moderator wrote:

Let's try some different words.
The way that food is grown, processed and transported is a major contemporary issue in the Western world, it is not unique to America.. The apparent cheapness and abundance of food conceals real environmental and social costs in its production and unintended negative consequences that have the potential to become more significant in the near future. The system that puts food on the table and the way many people view food (or ignore the issue) is not sustainable and must change.
David
On Fri, 15 May 2009 12:11:23 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

Amen.

You want a simple solution? Stop eating - then we will not have to put up with your whinging.
In article

Your insult lost a lot of its' impact with the missed spelling. Bwahahahahahaha. Well, back to wining and dining. Bwahahahaha Remember, for all your pollution needs, Mon$anto will be there for you.
--

- Billy

Your credibility lost any repect we may have given it by your not knowing my spelling was correct and your grammar was not. Please learn the correct position of the possesive apostrophe.
In article

Well, in this case the possessive pronoun does't take an apostrophy. Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss (Amazon.com product link shortened) 038/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid42339470&sr=1-1 pg. 40.
Bwahahahahaha. I just love doing that. Bwahahahahaha.
Me? Have credibility? Shirley you jest, I'm just the pointing finger, like this one, see?
Don't you have a book to color or something?
--

- Billy
In article

Small minds get lost in the details. Not their fault as educate is faulty. Think like this a mantra of sorts. None left behind just pass the hell with understanding. I really do not how to deal with issues like this aside from example. Real work.....
Bill educare too bring out a vision...
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

.....*****SNERT....snark*** What the hell jsut flew up my nose and awakened me?
You're slow with the fly swatter, Billy. Crap, gonna have to install a hook under me log to hold me own flyswat.
Harruummphhh! Damned annoyances. zzzzzzzzz
Charlie

That's odd about "the way you're raising pigs in America today creates a perfect environment for the generation of new flu pandemics", subsequent: "Oh, the industry response and the media response, by and large, is not to pay attention to that part of the story." Guess I'm paying attention to the wrong national TV channel as they said just that. Maybe they have more air time for such things as they don't spend an inordinate amount of time doing politically motivated ridicules...
--
Dave

"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

It seems with the SciAm article http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=civilization-food-shorta ges that Charlie posted, taken with CAFOs breeding new diseases (from the Pollan interview), maybe we should look to reduce our meat consumption and spread out the area in which animals are raised to avoid the need for antibiotic treated animals which can harbor resistant bacteria, and easily transmit viruses.
What ridicules are you referring to?
--

- Billy

What has that have to do with the website you posted originally? Nothing regarding the matter that I just ATTEMPTED and evidently failed to convey to you..

I'd rather not discuss the obvious since you refuse to do so by side-tracking.
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Well, aren't we in a snit today? Ridicule was side-tracking? You brought up the subject. The subject which I posted about our animal gulags as breeding grounds for human diseases. Treat the animals poorly and it comes back to bite you in the ass.
Then the is the under reported story, that the H1N1 virus had escaped from a lab.
"According to a recent report (Bloomberg, May 12, 2009) which was barely publicised, a prominent scientistdirectly involved in the development of Tamiflu points to the possibility that the H1N1 strain resulted from lab experimentation or vaccine production. According to professor Adrian Gibbs of the Australian National University (ANU), the virus which escaped from a lab, was the direct product of a laboratory experiment by the company which produces Tamiflu. It could be a mistake that occurred at a vaccine production facility or the virus could have jumped from a pig to another mammal or a bird before reaching humans, he said. (Ibid) There have been several previous unconfirmed reports on the issue. Professor John Oxford of St. Bart's and the Royal London Hospital contends that the 1957 H1N1 pandemic probably started when it escaped from a lab (National Public Radio,May 4, 2009). While the findings of Professor Gibbs require further investigation, they, nonetheless, raise the broader issue of transmission out of a laboratory, not to mention the underlying geographic location of a laboratory.The WHO is investigating the findings of Professor Gibbs." http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid 622
If you want a conspiracy, you might look at Donald Rumsfeld who owned stock in the company that developed Tamiflu, and he continued to hold Tamiflu stock during his tenure as Secretary of Defense, in clear violation of the law that required him to divest himself of the stock. Cheney (Halliburton) never divested either. What do you think the chances are that their actions benefited their portfolios performances?
--

- Billy

Hmmmm.....what is the shelf life of Tamiflu?
Five years, from what I read.
When was the global fiasco over avian flu that prompted the manufacture of a gazilllion doses of Tamiflu. A gaziliion doses that weren't used for a pandemic that didn't materialize, even though we recently supposedly had a major effup in Europe with a vaccine containing live virus H5N1? Hmmmmmm.......
Hmmmmm.......wonder how much Tamiflu, from that manufacture, has been sold recently, in order to deal with the, uh, supposed outbreak of this funky strain of "swine flu", a strain that carries some interesting dna.
Four years ago I was forced to go to the doc concerning cellulitis that I developed in my elbow. I've had it before and it is a serious deal. In the past, keflex (cephalosporins) were administered IM to infiltrate with an oral course. This last time I couldn't get the effing doc to use that. I ended up with a shot of Rocephen in my ass, a long way from the elbow and a scrip for.....tada.....ciprofloxicin, of which a gazillion doses had been manufactured for the supposed terrorist anthrax debacle. BTW, I reacted very badly to that shit and so did my sister in law who had cipro used on her after surgery. It damn near killed her. She had to be transferred to Bigtown Hosp for a week.
Whadda ya think, Billy. Concern for the public health?
As Galileo said, "All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them."
Charlie

and then get them past the censors, who block or distort beyond all recognition. The corporate press is rigged. That is the one thing that both the left and the right agree on.

According to Naomi Klein, "Before he reentered government, Rumsfeld was so convinced that he was on to a hot new industry that he helped found several private investment funds specializing in biotechnology and pharmaceuticals. These companies are banking on an apocalyptic future of rampant disease, one in which governments are forced to buy, at top dollar, whatever lifesaving products the private sector has under patent."
These, like Tamiflu, will most likely be developed on grants funded by taxpayers.
At least we will be getting something for the money, unlike our present scenario.
You think Rummy's has an idea where all this is headed? Does Rummy gamble?
--

- Billy

Is this from "Shock Doctrine"?...on my list anyway.

Of course. Public interest and all that, eh?

Yeah, right. Cui bono?

Rummy and his ilk do not gamble lightly. You have a good idea where this is headed.... you can bet your droopy ass Rummy and crew *know* where this is headed.
Charlie
On Fri, 15 May 2009 20:50:42 -0500, Charlie wrote:

1. Buy into pharma corp. 2. Create vaccine 3. Create need for vaccine 4. Profit!!!
I'm kinda goin' out on a limb here. ;-)