Empty Beans?

Hi Everybody,
I am growing "beans," which apparently are actually bean *pods*. Long, skinny green "beans," about 4-5 inches long. Last year, I let some of them proceed as the wanted, so those kind of collapsed, and cutting them open revealed 3-4 white kidney-shaped beans. So you get the idea.
But...
Some of mine are empty. The long skinny green thing is hollow. This only effects some of my beans, while others are normal.
What's up with that?
Thanks...
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /
Antipodean Bucket Farmer said:

The empty beans failed to be pollinated. It happens to some of my beans in late summer. Once the weather cools a bit, it stops happening and all the beans fill out properly. Hot, dry weather can cause blossoms to abort or fail to pollinate completely.

I need a source of nursery containers in the 5-10 gal. size, but everything I checked out sells them in bulk, like 50-60 a case! I only need about 10, anyone have a good (hopefully inexpensive :) source? Thanks
Barbara
If you are in NE GA I'll give you some. Call a couple of landscapers, they always have stacks of them hanging around.
John!
barbara beardsley wrote:

I'm in Long Island, NY, but thanks anyway.

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 14:42:32 GMT, "barbara beardsley"

Have you tried the FreeCycle lists? I'm sure there is one for New York. http://www.freecycle.org/ I like the Free Cycle concept, although the reality is not always rewarding.
You might also call you local extension office and see if New York publishes some sort of market bulletin. I see people advertising those nursery pots in the SC Market Bulletin all the time. This is what ours looks like, there is a paper issue or the on line one. http://www.scda.state.sc.us/marketbulletin/marketbulletin.htm
John's suggestion was good, too. Most commercial nurseries have lots of old containers that they're willing to share them for free.
Penelope

I've seen that in climbing beans grown outside their preferred climate. Cool climate beans grown in hot areas need a lot of watering, morning and evening, if you want good pollination. I can't explain why.
Our scarlet runners wouldn't set (just thin empty pods that soon fell off) until I began watering morning and evening. The soil is sandy and it drains well, so there was no root rot.

I have ancho 101 ps seeds, and would like to trade this package for hybrid ancho or pablano. Let me know if anyone would like to exchange.