Eggplant

I'm going to try to grow eggplants this year. Can I use a tomato cage to support them?
Thanks!
Jibby wrote:

Sure, or sticks. We grow eggplant every year here in USDA zone 9b and the stalks get so thick we don't need to support them unless they're heavy with fruit. This year we've picked about 20 fruit of the Ichiban variety from four plants. A few years ago we picked 75 lbs from seven Ichiban plants. You gotta be careful how many plants you have or your neighbors will start turning off the lights and locking their doors when they see you coming with a bag of eggplant. <VBG>
George
you bet! I have mine caged this year...hoping the "eggs" will stay cleaner, too!
Deb

Anytime I/ve grown eggplant, there/s never been a need to stake or cage. Keep them picked when ripe and the plant won/t b/come overloaded.
Of course, if they are staked / caged and a big wind comes up from a passing thunderstorm, then you have added insurance.
Drawing a little soil up against the stalk all 'round will provide some extra support.
Reply.yahoo.com says...

Why not, I always do.
        Bill -- Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

It depends on the variety but often they are self supporting as they are much stronger than tomatos.
David
Last year I stake mine because the fruit weighed so much and it is windy on the ridge that I live on.
David Hare-Scott wrote:

Thanks for everyone's help. This is my first year growing eggplants. Thanks again!