edible berry on tree

Hi,

I saw a tree in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia with purplish red berries on it. The berries themselves looked quite a bit like blue berries (except for the colour). This was however a 25+ft tree. I bit into one of the berries and it was quite sweet, had a cluster of 10 or so little seeds inside of it. Anyone know what it might be?

The berries were in bunches of 10 or so and were about the size and shape of marbles.

for some reason I'm having trouble uploading a photo I took of it. Happy to email to anyone who is willing to have a look.

cheers

Reply to
P.somniferum

Post it somewhere on the net... maybe sign up with Flickr and post a link here.

This is a text newsgroup. No pictures allowed.

Your description suggests serviceberry though I don't know anything about the number of seeds in the fruit.

phorbin

common, at least here in the SE USA. There are several species. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

Yep, I think that's it. Thanks much.

Reply to
P.somniferum

A quick lookup suggests its available from UK nurseries.

Reply to
phorbin