Eager for spring

I've got tons of seeds I saved and got free from a nursery last year, plus the new stuff I've gotten for this year, and I want to be able to start planting them outside. I just wonder if I'll have enough space...we have just over an acre here, but I've got seeds for quite a few herbs, pumpkins, melons, lettuce, mustard greens, sunflowers(plus tons of other kinds of flowers/decorative plants), beets, radishes, cabbage, okra, decorative gourds(including luffa), cauliflower, tomatoes, peppers(hot and bell), corn, kohlrabi, beans, quinoa, carrots, peas, squash, cucumbers, berries(Garden Huckleberry, Sunberry, and Strawberry Spinach from Seed Savers), and plants I've gotten this year(some of which won't be shipped to me for another 3 weeks or so) include 2 rhubarb, 3 roses(I'm trying to recreate my grandmother's rose garden in her memory), 4 blueberries, 1 ginger root, and others I can't remember right now...I wanna get a sugar maple and apricot trees this year too....I just got done the other day making a list of the germination and maturation timetables for each varieties of things I have, so I know when I need to plant to have them ready for certain farmer's market dates. The first one is about 111 days away. In about a week or so I've got to start building raised beds and such for them all...I've also got

3 compost piles/homemade bins full of stuff that needs to hurry up and finish composting so I can use it...what is everyone else planning to grow this season?

Victoria, zone 5

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

4" out of the ground. We just went to a seed store and got 'maters, cukes, green peppers, zuchini, lettuce, spinach, sugar snap peas, & green beans. Now today starts the planting of the seeds. We have a room with 2 skylites that should provide enough sun to get them out of the ground. When it warms up we will put them outside on nice days til the nights get warm enough to harden them off. This is the biggest garden we have ever grown, it should be intresting. More space can be tilled if we need it, and I think we just may!! Hope your garden flourishes!! Nan in DE
Reply to
Nan

I hope your garden flourishes too...I start seeds in my bedroom because it gets the most sunlight, it has one window facing south, and one facing...east I think, could be west, too lazy to go get my compass now...and my lettuce leaf basil has sprouted! Yay! I couldn't get ANY basil to sprout last year(I have sweet/genovese, lettuce leaf, spicy globe, and lemon)

I am so ready for spring. Here in DE I have daffodils that are about

4" out of the ground. We just went to a seed store and got 'maters, cukes, green peppers, zuchini, lettuce, spinach, sugar snap peas, & green beans. Now today starts the planting of the seeds. We have a room with 2 skylites that should provide enough sun to get them out of the ground. When it warms up we will put them outside on nice days til the nights get warm enough to harden them off. This is the biggest garden we have ever grown, it should be intresting. More space can be tilled if we need it, and I think we just may!! Hope your garden flourishes!! Nan in DE
Reply to
Lilah Morgan

Hi Lilah,

If you stand and look out of your south facing window. East is on your Left and West is on your Right. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin

Reply to
R M Watkin

Here Sun rises in the East and sets in the West. Looking south same as Richard's post. Sort of reminds me to make sure the sun dial is ready for another year.

Bill who has a Sun dial watch . Fun stuff sort of a gentle reminder of connection to nature.

Reply to
Bill