Dwarf pears for zone 5

I'm more interested in good tasting pears than high-yields or ease of cultivation.
That said--- I'm in Zone 5 in NY & I think I'd like a couple dwarf pears for the back yard. I buy a dozen pears every year and am lucky to get 4 good ones.
I ought to do a little better fighting squirrels in the back yard. [and I'm already fighting them for veggies, peaches and cherries so that won't be a new battle]
What variety would you go for? I like to eat a *good* pear out of hand-- but I've really gotten a taste for pears with a little gorgonzola and honey dressing.
If there is a good canning pear, I might be tempted to can some for winter.
Jim

My advice is always to check with your local extension office for information geared to your area. There is one in almost every county in the US.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Yeah-- but my chances of finding someone who says - 'You've gotta try these pears' is a lot slimmer than running into someone on Usenet that has eaten an outstanding pear.
Once I get a couple names to go on, I might give my extension a call. Though, truth be told, they sure aren't what they were in the 70's.
Jim

Look into seckle pears.
http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2009/10/seckel_pears_are_deli cately_sw.html
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

Seckle pears aka "candy pears" are quite small, but the tree bears a huge crop.They are many times sweeter than the ordinary pear. When dried they are very much like candy. Comice and Moonglow are very good for "out of hand" eating. Easiest to grow is probably Keiffer, but they tend to be gritty and difficult to eat, very good cider pear though. Bartlett is always a good eating pear but is disease prone. Anjou and Bosc are European imports that are good as well. The secret to a good pear is in the picking. Around here, the old-timers say to pick the whole crop when the first ripe one falls. Allow them to slowly ripen in a cool cellar. A tree ripened pear is not a good thing. HTH, Steve

I agree with those recommending the Seckel pear. At a former residence in Zone 5 (Chicago area), we planted a Seckel and a Bartlett. The Seckel just seemed to grow and produce much better and the pears were very good. As others have said they are small but plentiful on the tree. The tree was very attractive too, which was nice since it was in the front yard! -- H