Drying Habanero peppers

I've had a good batch of Habanero peppers this year and want to dry some out to use as a seasoning throughout the year. I tried hanging them from a string in the window (and it's been warm out) but most are turning a dark brown from the inside which I fear may be rot rather than drying. Can someone enlighten me as to the most efficient method for drying? Would the brown ones be no good at this time?
thanks D-

Dave,
I've been drying cayanne peppers strung with a needle and fishing line for years. Worn't work with the habaneros. I'd recommend a dehydrator from Wally World. They are about $40.00 and will open doors you have never thought about.
At least cut the tops off and run the seeds out, cut them up. I've been putting mine on my smoker grill this year and making a kind of habanero chipole. That works well but locks in a smoke flavor you may or may not want.
I would toss the brown ones as I beleive IMHO they have too much water in the to just hang. You can try a fresh batch in the oven on low heat on a cookie sheet but that is just terrible inefficient.
Gook luck.
Craig
Dave:
I put them on cake cooling racks in the oven, with stem on, at 180 for a couple of hours. Or a food dehydrator as was suggested.
As far as the brown ones, cut a couple open, any mold? Toss them.
Be careful when you crush them. One of *our* favorite hab stories is when my wife was using the food processor to flake them. Worked great!
She then put cream on her face since she forgot to do that after her shower.
It only took an hour or so for her to be able to open her eyes... She was very careful about her hands, it was the fine powder that had settled on her face.
Finally some good pepper threads!
John!

Does she have long hair, have a daughter? Then have her rub a womans hair in her eyes.
Did a demo for some friends one time, rub cayenne into my eye. Rubbed womans hair in my eye, pain and redness went away immediately.
Doe NOT work with the hair of men.
--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

You need to hang out at alt.binaries.food
You'll see some pepper threads there.
Craig
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 04:37:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Craig Watts) wrote:
GA Pinhead wrote:

Too many ways to download things that do nasty stuff to your computer in the binary groups.
And yes, I do have a good firewall and virus protection.
Penelope
On 21 Oct 2004 14:29:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (dave nuckles) wrote:

Turn the oven on to its lowest temperature,or around 150F and allow it to heat completely. Put the peppers in and turn off the oven. Allow it to cool, then check the peppers and remove the ones that are dry. Repeat for the ones that aren't. You can dry whole peppers, but they'll dry faster if you slice them.
If you have a gas range, you can probably dry them with just the pilot light. Just don't forget they're in there and crank up the heat to fix dinner!
I'd toss the brown ones, no use risking food poisoning.
hth
Penelope
dave nuckles wrote:

I know this isn't what you asked for but I gut them, slice them, and freeze them. They're almost as good as fresh.
Habernero are too fleshy touse the air dying method. A dehydrator works nicely but they can be dried in an oven at low heat.
My method is to smoke/dry them in the grill. I mesquite smoked over 80 habs a few years back. They are wonderful. Make your fire on one side, and after it dies down put your peppers on the opposite side away from the direct heat. Just make sure you keep the heat low. I cut the tops off of mine and removed the seed pods with a long pair of tweezers before smoking. You do NOT want that on your fingers. I saved the seeds and re-planted the next year. Thomas