Drying Habanero peppers

I've had a good batch of Habanero peppers this year and want to dry some out to use as a seasoning throughout the year. I tried hanging them from a string in the window (and it's been warm out) but most are turning a dark brown from the inside which I fear may be rot rather than drying. Can someone enlighten me as to the most efficient method for drying? Would the brown ones be no good at this time?

thanks D-

Reply to
dave nuckles

Dave,

I've been drying cayanne peppers strung with a needle and fishing line for years. Worn't work with the habaneros. I'd recommend a dehydrator from Wally World. They are about $40.00 and will open doors you have never thought about.

At least cut the tops off and run the seeds out, cut them up. I've been putting mine on my smoker grill this year and making a kind of habanero chipole. That works well but locks in a smoke flavor you may or may not want.

I would toss the brown ones as I beleive IMHO they have too much water in the to just hang. You can try a fresh batch in the oven on low heat on a cookie sheet but that is just terrible inefficient.

Gook luck.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Watts

Dave:

I put them on cake cooling racks in the oven, with stem on, at 180 for a couple of hours. Or a food dehydrator as was suggested.

As far as the brown ones, cut a couple open, any mold? Toss them.

Be careful when you crush them. One of *our* favorite hab stories is when my wife was using the food processor to flake them. Worked great!

She then put cream on her face since she forgot to do that after her shower.

It only took an hour or so for her to be able to open her eyes... She was very careful about her hands, it was the fine powder that had settled on her face.

Finally some good pepper threads!

John!

Reply to
GA Pinhead

Turn the oven on to its lowest temperature,or around 150F and allow it to heat completely. Put the peppers in and turn off the oven. Allow it to cool, then check the peppers and remove the ones that are dry. Repeat for the ones that aren't. You can dry whole peppers, but they'll dry faster if you slice them.

If you have a gas range, you can probably dry them with just the pilot light. Just don't forget they're in there and crank up the heat to fix dinner!

I'd toss the brown ones, no use risking food poisoning.

hth

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Does she have long hair, have a daughter? Then have her rub a womans hair in her eyes.

Did a demo for some friends one time, rub cayenne into my eye. Rubbed womans hair in my eye, pain and redness went away immediately.

Doe NOT work with the hair of men.

Reply to
Charles Quinn

You need to hang out at alt.binaries.food

You'll see some pepper threads there.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Watts

Too many ways to download things that do nasty stuff to your computer in the binary groups.

And yes, I do have a good firewall and virus protection.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

I know this isn't what you asked for but I gut them, slice them, and freeze them. They're almost as good as fresh.

Reply to
Gary Flynn

Habernero are too fleshy touse the air dying method. A dehydrator works nicely but they can be dried in an oven at low heat.

Reply to
FarmerDill

Reply to
Thomas